• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange email from unknown agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange email from unknown agent

Received this, and I sent off my cv (checking first that their website seemed genuine looking)

Please can you send me your latest CV and expected availability date for new contract work.
    But I'm worried now. No hint as to whatever the contract work may be, no request for skill set, not even a request for references or wondering "How have you found the market recently?"

Could it just be a identity theft trawl?

I know some will say I should have called the agency, but I always try and avoid this unless I know there's a definite opening, otherwise it becomes a fishing avoidance exercise.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Hmmm, I should have searched here first. Seems they (Vector) do exist, but not all have a good word for them

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ence-them.html

Still, they probably won't get back to me, so I'm worrying over nothing I suspect.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      Received this, and I sent off my cv (checking first that their website seemed genuine looking)

But I'm worried now. No hint as to whatever the contract work may be, no request for skill set, not even a request for references or wondering "How have you found the market recently?"

Could it just be a identity theft trawl?

I know some will say I should have called the agency, but I always try and avoid this unless I know there's a definite opening, otherwise it becomes a fishing avoidance exercise.
      Well if they were just fishing....... the phrase "Hook, line and sinker" springs to mind......

Did you use their link to the "genuine looking" website.... or did you find the website independently........

If its the former I doubt that the spammer has got hold of your access to your hard drive and all your financial and personal details..........

Comment

If your CV is already on JobServe etc, it surely doesn't matter? What personal info do you include on your CV? I only ever put my Ltd Co name, and contact details - my address is not on there for example.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Did you use their link to the "genuine looking" website.... or did you find the website independently.......
          Good point - I don't click on links in emails from unknown sources. In fact I don't click on links from a lot of people I do know. Must plead guilty to clicking on links here though, one day a spammer's going to get us..

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            Good point - I don't click on links in emails from unknown sources. In fact I don't click on links from a lot of people I do know. Must plead guilty to clicking on links here though, one day a spammer's going to get us..
            Ah, the temptation to post a tubgirl or goatse link...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Ah, the temptation to post a tubgirl or goatse link...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Don't worry, I won't - although the mere mention of them is usually enough to lead some poor innocent sod to Google them

Comment

Don't worry, I won't - although the mere mention of them is usually enough to lead some poor innocent sod to Google them

I'm still traumatised...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

http://xkcd.com/467/

Comment

Working...
                    X