• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living away from home expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living away from home expenses

Im working a contract that sometimes means I stay away from home overnight near the location of my work. Now sometimes I stay in Travelodges, Premier Inns etc and thats fine to put through the books, but at other times I stay at an in-laws house and they dont charge me anything. However I would like to pay them something, say a nominal £30 a night b&b payment. The problem is I would want to put this through the books (I aint that generous!) so would need a receipt but their situation means they are unsure about the legality. Do they have to be registered in any way to be a b&b? Their situation is they live in a council house and pay rent to the local authority. They are therefore unsure how this would effect things as effectively they are sub-letting? Would it be better to class me as a lodger? What would be the personal tax implications to them? Anyone got any suggestions? It would probably only ever be a maximum of £150 a month.

Originally posted by wiggabaiters View Post
    Im working a contract that sometimes means I stay away from home overnight near the location of my work. Now sometimes I stay in Travelodges, Premier Inns etc and thats fine to put through the books, but at other times I stay at an in-laws house and they dont charge me anything. However I would like to pay them something, say a nominal £30 a night b&b payment. The problem is I would want to put this through the books (I aint that generous!) so would need a receipt but their situation means they are unsure about the legality. Do they have to be registered in any way to be a b&b? Their situation is they live in a council house and pay rent to the local authority. They are therefore unsure how this would effect things as effectively they are sub-letting? Would it be better to class me as a lodger? What would be the personal tax implications to them? Anyone got any suggestions? It would probably only ever be a maximum of £150 a month.

I'm in a similar boat (staying at dad's sometimes when contracting Mon-Fri) and as yet haven't put anything through the books as I didn't want him to get stuffed on certain things (sole-occupier council tax for one). He doesn't want to charge me anything but I'd like to give him a bit now and then to count for the hot water and stuff I'm using.

Comment

This wouldn't be to difficult to research IMO. Google can be a good friend. So can the HMRC website...

You can pay them a reasonable amout for staying over and food, something like 30 - 40 quid or something. It is to cover costs etc and not reflect a commercial rate. There is no way it costs your parents 60quid a night to put you up etc.

You don't need a reciept for it, there is a term for this payment which I forget and cba looking up.

Your parents friends can declare this income on their tax returns on the Rent a Room scheme which allows them to claim £4250 a year tax free from this type of income. Value might have changed now though. I aint an accountant so can't remember exactly.

HMRC, your accountant and search button are the fonts of all knowledge that you can trust IMO. Am just a miserable northern git.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        This wouldn't be to difficult to research IMO. Google can be a good friend. So can the HMRC website...

You can pay them a reasonable amout for staying over and food, something like 30 - 40 quid or something. It is to cover costs etc and not reflect a commercial rate. There is no way it costs your parents 60quid a night to put you up etc.

You don't need a reciept for it, there is a term for this payment which I forget and cba looking up.

Your parents friends can declare this income on their tax returns on the Rent a Room scheme which allows them to claim £4250 a year tax free from this type of income. Value might have changed now though. I aint an accountant so can't remember exactly.
        Handy info - thanks!!

HMRC, your accountant and search button are the fonts of all knowledge that you can trust IMO. Am just a miserable northern git.

Ha, that you are but a helpful one, in your own way. Sure it gets frustrating seeing the same things over and over but this is a great place to ask as chances are someone is browsing who just has that info to hand and can couple it with their own mini case study.

Comment

1) Any payments actually made are claimable with a receipt. Thier are potential tax consequences on the recipient - it's just income though it may be covered by the "rent a room scheme"

2) Look for "staying with friends" on HMRC website. Appy those rules and description to your description.

3) Generally you may claim £25 for an overnight with friends (in the absence of 1). The basic rule is that in orderr to claim it you must spend something - and potentially be able to demonstrate to the revenue.

Of course the obvious risk is that I am just telling you complete tosh, so you still need to establish the veracity of what I have said.

Comment

Quote from HMRC website

Staying with family or friends

"When an employee spends a night away from home whilst on business, he may choose to stay with a friend or relative instead of staying in a hotel. The employee may incur the cost of an evening meal. The employee is entitled to a deduction for a qualifying expense incurred while staying with family or friends.

With effect from 6 April 2009, you should no longer agree a scale rate payment for expenses incurred while staying with a friend or relative. Scale rate payments for staying with friends or family should be removed from existing dispensations as part of the normal process of 5 yearly reviews."

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              1) Any payments actually made are claimable with a receipt. Thier are potential tax consequences on the recipient - it's just income though it may be covered by the "rent a room scheme"

2) Look for "staying with friends" on HMRC website. Appy those rules and description to your description.

3) Generally you may claim £25 for an overnight with friends (in the absence of 1). The basic rule is that in orderr to claim it you must spend something - and potentially be able to demonstrate to the revenue.

Of course the obvious risk is that I am just telling you complete tosh, so you still need to establish the veracity of what I have said.
              Cheers for that - option 3 sounds good,I'l run it by the accountants. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X