• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abbey National the worst bank??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abbey National the worst bank??

I have just started contracting via my own Ltd company, before that was using an umbrella for 18 months.

A few people on here recommended Abbeys life time free banking offer, so went for that. What a mistake.

Applied on the 11th of Jan, cancelled 4th of Feb as they still hadnt created me an account! The people who you talk to have no power, nor can they put you through to the team who creates the accounts.

So after a week and a half they ask me to provide proof my trading address is real (remember this is my home address). They suggest a letter from my accountant, who suggests sending them a copy of my invoice. A quick call to Abbey, "Yes that will be fine". Since this had already taken a long time, (and they havent asked for this) I send them a copy of my passport and council tax demand so we dont waste anymore time.

3 Days later, another e-mail comes through saying this has been rejected (the proof not my application) the e-mail (which cannot be replied to) suggest either a bank statement in the companies name with my address, or professional marketing material, or a letter from my accountant.

So I ring the call centre again, explain how Im a new business. The guys says we just need something official, I have my VAT approval letter from HMRC on my table at the time, I ask if that would be ok?

"Yes, it doesnt get much more official than that does it? Fax it to this number so you dont lose any more time"

I think we are getting somewhere here. I ring up, the team have the fax and will be in touch. A few days later, another rejection e-mail.

I ask my accountant to write a letter and fax it, they do this on the Friday. Monday I ring up, "Oh they are looking at faxes sent on Thu, so yours will be tomorrrow"

Same story, tue, wed.

Thursday I ring up Natwest, the person that answers the phone has the authority to create me an account. Im approved instantly, the forms are e-mailed to me, I fill them in, everything is good. I will have a bank account the next day.

The moral of the story is dont waste time on something that is "free" that you never actually get. Abbey seriously are incompetent, if they cant even open an account in a timely fashion can they actually run it?

Rant / warning over.

>Abbey National the worst bank??

No. They've been pretty good mostly, apart from the time they switched over to their new system; that's was a nightmare for a few weeks.

QB.

Comment

I've always found them very good, for both of my companies over a good number of years.

Although I would be p1ssed off if that happened to me...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyBerty View Post
        >Abbey National the worst bank??

No. They've been pretty good mostly, apart from the time they switched over to their new system; that's was a nightmare for a few weeks.

QB.
        WQBS.

Oh, and Abbey don't exist any more. They are now called Santander.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Abbey \ Santander are like all big organisations when things go wrong. No one accepts responsibility and puts things right.

On the whole they are OK. Would I recommend them? Probably not because when it goes tits up for you, it goes tits up and no one helps!
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Ah I love a good post like this. Makes my day much brighter and happier...

I am with Abbey and apart from an odd thing telling my brower wasn't compatible becuase it was too new for awhile I found it to be spot on. There was an outage not so long ago but working in Service Delivery I think I can accept one or two of these a year lol...

They got my vote sorry....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am not trying to disuade anyone who is already with them.

Just provide a warning for any other newbies like myself who might consider them. Im sure some could give horror stories about Natwest too.

Have done a lot of reading on this forum of late to help me find accountants, printer for business cards and insurance. All really good, except the bank.

Comment

I was happy enough till this week...

Made my VAT payment Monday. Knew I'd seen the confirmation screen, but hadn't printed it. Payment didn't show on my account. Waited till Tuesday and phoned them - they assured me there was no payment and no payment pending. Assumed I'd dreamt the confirmation screen and made the payment again. Looked at my account this morning, and the payment has gone twice. Rang them - apparently they had a problem with the system and payments got 'lost' - it took them 3 days to notice then they all got processed. I am one of 1000s of customers who have made double payments. They suggested that I contact HMRC and try and ask them to refund. It ain't HMRCs problem - they should do the necessary. Grrrrr. And 10K of my personal money has 'disappeared' for over 10 days now in transferring my ISA to them, but that's another thread...

Comment

Oh dear. I've been with them since I set up. Apart from the really cr*p web banking system switch over, it has been fine. I have never had to deal with anybody from the staff though. It would help if the local branches could handle queries but I'm guessing they can't do that?
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                  X