• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is late Jan/Early Feb a big recruiting cycle??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is late Jan/Early Feb a big recruiting cycle??

Been looking on Jobserve and the amout of vacancies seems up from last week, trouble is I'm still reskilling at the mo but don't really want to miss the boat if it all fizzles out in 10 days.

Originally posted by JaybeeInCUK View Post
    Been looking on Jobserve and the amout of vacancies seems up from last week, trouble is I'm still reskilling at the mo but don't really want to miss the boat if it all fizzles out in 10 days.
    How can you miss the boat if you are not ready though. You can't get upset over opportunities lost when they were never opportunities in the first place. Concentrate on what your getting not what you lost IMO.

I would think Feb onwards should continue to get a little better with more posts for companies that have a finaincial year end in Dec, they will have maybe shed numbers or held off posts to make the numbers meet, taken a month to 6 weeks to finalise new budgets and gain approval to recruit and then the jobs appear. I think there is a bit of time left in this process. 6 weeks from 1st Jan isn't really long enough for a lot of places to get new budget and then re-think their contractor hiring policy so should think there is a nice raft of roles sitting still waiting for approval.

Get your head down, concentrate on your re-skilling then worry about whats there imo..
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

When do companies finalise their new budgets?

Is it end of March?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        When do companies finalise their new budgets?

Is it end of March?
        Differs, someone have the same fiscal and financial new years, others have them linked in with tax years 1st Apr and the like. Seems pretty random as to which they follow.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          How can you miss the boat if you are not ready though. You can't get upset over opportunities lost when they were never opportunities in the first place. Concentrate on what your getting not what you lost IMO.

I would think Feb onwards should continue to get a little better with more posts for companies that have a finaincial year end in Dec, they will have maybe shed numbers or held off posts to make the numbers meet, taken a month to 6 weeks to finalise new budgets and gain approval to recruit and then the jobs appear. I think there is a bit of time left in this process. 6 weeks from 1st Jan isn't really long enough for a lot of places to get new budget and then re-think their contractor hiring policy so should think there is a nice raft of roles sitting still waiting for approval.

Get your head down, concentrate on your re-skilling then worry about whats there imo..
          Nice one mate!! That's comforting to know, I saw there's stuff out there but at my current skill level it's just bill-paying permie stuff. I was a bit jittery with the recent recession and all, but they reckon IT is the first to get hit, and the first to recover, let's hope it's true.

Comment

Was just gunna say...

I was just about to start a new thread alone same lines, seems to me like Dec/Jan are a waste of time look for a new role.

In Dec/Jan just gone I had one interview lined up but in these first few weeks of Feb (and maybe the last one of Jan) I've pretty much had some form interview/technical assessment almost every day! Seems like leading up to the festive period and then straight after NY is a waste of time looking for IT roles.

Same thing happened to me last year too, got here xmas eve 2008, spent all of Jan looking for jobs with not so much as a interview to show for it but by the last week of Feb I had 3 offers sitting on the table at the time.

Worst thing is, I plan to be getting back to UK to look for a new job mid Nov this year too!

Comment

no

i don't think so...i can't get a single interview or pimp call...unlike nov/dec when i had loads of calls and two interviews which i failed at

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
                i don't think so...i can't get a single interview or pimp call...unlike nov/dec when i had loads of calls and two interviews which i failed at
                Is your CV a grammatical heaven like your post per chance?

Ohh check me out being a pedant for a change!!

Comment

Originally posted by JaybeeInCUK View Post
                  I always re-skill in the Winter time. And start looking again in March/April. Unless I'm already on contract (like I am now), in which case I'm re-skilling on-the-job.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    I always re-skill in the Winter time. And start looking again in March/April. Unless I'm already on contract (like I am now), in which case I'm re-skillin probably sleeping on-the-job.
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X