• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I bypass the agent???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I bypass the agent???

Hi,

I am currently having issues with an agency whilst trying to get a contract.

I had an offer in December, but the agent was not happy with his deal. He was very openly getting cheesed off with the client as they were continuely asking him to reduce his stake in the daily rate. He then phoned me a few days later telling me that somebody else had been taken on directly. (Either that or he had called the deal off as his stake was not sufficient).

Now, I have had the agent call this week as the client is looking again, however he is already getting cheesed off with the client. I have actually reduced my rate by a 50 quid as I have been on the bench for a while now.

I am just wondering if the agent is getting in the way here. Should I go straight to the client???? It is not really my problem that the agent is not getting his cut. Is this a common occurance???
    Last edited by memyselfandi; 12 February 2010, 18:17.

I'd expect the client can't go direct with you without breaking whatever agreement they have with the agent. The decision is out of your hands.

Do however contact the client and have a chat and find out what the hell's going on

Comment

My only issue with going to the client though is that they will obviously talk back to the agent who will not be happy with me going behind his back.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Comment

Originally posted by memyselfandi View Post
        My only issue with going to the client though is that they will obviously talk back to the agent who will not be happy with me going behind his back.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
        Did you read what I wrote? This isn't your choice!
        The client will (almost certainly) have a contract with the agent that prevents them taking you direct.

Why ask a question if you're not going to read the responses.
        Last edited by Olly; 12 February 2010, 18:32. Reason: removing the harsh harsh name calling...I'm deeply deeply sorry about that, muppet ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
          Do however contact the client and have a chat and find out what the hell's going on
          My response was to your suggestion.

Comment

Hi,

I had an offer in December, but the agent was not happy with his deal. He was very openly getting cheesed off with the client as they were continuely asking him to reduce his stake in the daily rate. He then phoned me a few days later telling me that somebody else had been taken on directly. (Either that or he had called the deal off as his stake was not sufficient).

Now, I have had the agent call this week as the client is looking again, however he is already getting cheesed off with the client. I have actually reduced my rate by a 50 quid as I have been on the bench for a while now.

I am just wondering if the agent is getting in the way here. Should I go straight to the client???? It is not really my problem that the agent is not getting his cut. Is this a common occurance???
            Ring the client and ask him
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

My response was to your suggestion.
              sod the agent...they've dropped the ball once. Time for you to drive this one.

I've done it before.

I didn't get the first role, but then it wasn't the same role the agent had described to me so that's hardly surprising.
              I did however, drop the agent (of square one) in a pile of steaming and boy it felt good to expose him as the dishonest liar he was (and probably still is).

The other time it moved things along nicely thanks.

Comment

Chances are the client has to go through an agent anyway and won't take you on direct.

Comment

Hi,

So, the agent has got you started on the 'reduce your rate' game. He now needs to let you know he's getting pissed off with the client and will be expecting you to say you take another 25 or 50 quid cut.

Once you start........................
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Chances are the client has to go through an agent anyway and won't take you on direct.
                    Ring him anyway dont assume anything. Or get me to do it
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X