• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just got back from Auschwitz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from Auschwitz

'kin 'ell
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    'kin 'ell
    Worth a visit? Been thinking about doing it for years.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

'kin 'ell
      I'd have thought Thorpe Park was a better day out?

Went to the German Underground Hospital in Jersey once. All this stuff is sinister and just makes you realise how lucky we are to be living now and not then.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Yes - well worth it. Really really sad and when you go to Auschwitz 2 you get some sense as to the whole scale of the thing - TV, maps etc don't do it justice on that front. Then when you realise that all this was to 'house' those who were selected to work. The room full of hair and the one showing the kids shoes is pretty grim.

Oh and Krakow is brilliant.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Yes - well worth it. Really really sad and when you go to Auschwitz 2 you get some sense as to the whole scale of the thing - TV, maps etc don't do it justice on that front. Then when you realise that all this was to 'house' those who were selected to work. The room full of hair and the one showing the kids shoes is pretty grim.

Oh and Krakow is brilliant.
          I was in Gdansk a few months ago and I was very impressed, had a great time. Not enough time and too far away from Auschwitz to make the trip. Maybe in a few weeks I'll head for Krakow and visit the camp. Anything you can recommend to do in Krakow?
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            All this stuff is sinister and just makes you realise how lucky we are to be living now and not then.
            Or, how fortunate it is that each society doesn't see its own atrocities as atrocities until they are revealed in a paradigm shift later down the line.

Comment

I recommend the book "I never saw another butterfly".
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                I was in Gdansk a few months ago and I was very impressed, had a great time. Not enough time and too far away from Auschwitz to make the trip. Maybe in a few weeks I'll head for Krakow and visit the camp. Anything you can recommend to do in Krakow?
                We just had a flying visit - a tour around the city yesterday. Had a really nice meal in a old Jewish sector in a place that while it doesn't have a star, is recommended in the michalin guide. 2 main meals, pudding and drinks was less than 50 quid. Really cheap place. Research your trip as it's possible to get an individual tour guide round the camps. Ours was a coach tour and cost about 25 quid each for the lot. As I said - really cheap place.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Cliphead,
                  you might want to take a trip to the Salt Mine at Wieliczka just outside Krakow. Mighty impressive. They have a full blown cathedral underground amongst a load of other things including an orchestra that floats past on an underground stream. Well worth a visit.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Cheery fellas aren't you. I went to Krakow on a stag do. It consisted of alcohol, birds, food, alcohol, food, alcohol, birds.

It did not consist of any concentration camps or bloody salt mines.

If it did, it would probably have made me want a pint, kebab and a shag.

HTH.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X