• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going it alone!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going it alone!

Hi all

I'm currently a permanent staff member for a well established software company. We act as an integration partner for a big US software firm. As such I work as a consultant - doing client implementations and giving training (primarily over the web) to clients around the globe. I am the only one involved in this particular partnership i.e. I'm essentially a one man band.

I've dealt with the manager of the US firm a few times (not all the time) and I believe he is happy with the quality of work being delivered. He has also asked about offering one of their products on a SaaS (Software as a Service) basis but my company dismissed it on the grounds that the rate offered wouldn't make it profitable for us.

The question is:
    Can I approach that manager (via email) and say that I'd like to go out on my own. I could continue to act as a consultant for them (i.e. the US company) and also offer the SaaS approach - financially viable for me if working on my own. Plus I could offer them other services etc that would be more cost effective for them/me.

Advice please?
    Would the fact that I'd be on my own and not within a branded company be a deal-breaker for him - or does he just care about getting quality work done at the best price.
    Would he be a bit perturbed (for whatever reason) on receiving such an email?

Any feed-back appreciated.

Thanks
    Dmitri

I would check your contract. Most companies will have it as a clause that states you cannot work for one of their clients for x amount of months after leaving.

Comment

And be aware of Intellectual Property (IP) complications...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

WTS. The customer might well be delighted with this approach, but your current employer is going to have one or two things to say about you stealing their client. And the customer might have something in his contract with your employer that would mean he couldn't do this even if he wanted to.

You really need to get your employer to agree first, and then where does that leave you if the customer says no?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Further Questions ...

Thanks for the responses.

I don't believe there are any contracts between the client and my company as each piece of work is carried out on an ad-hoc basis (via a work order). As we are not a consulting company per se - more of a software development shop - I'd be sceptical of the existence of such contracts.

Regarding IP - would there have to be an explicit contract governing this? If not, am I free to leave and put into practice all that I know?

And finally from a me approaching the manager point of view - you would not envisage any problem? i.e. sour the relationship etc.

Thanks again
          Dmitri

Comment

Working...
          X