• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Initial contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial contract

I have just been offered a short-term(1 month) contract starting on Monday. The rate is nothing close to what is advertised on itjobswatch.

Should I go the PAYE or the limited company route?

I've tried a few calculators and the difference in take home is quite large but I don't want to do the paperwork at least initially. Also, I'd like to know a few calculators that will give me the approximate take-home pay. Can someone recommend a calculator?

Also, since my very long commute will be costing me a lot(>20 a day), can I reduce my taxes by claiming these as expenses?

Also, I'd like to know if I am inside or outside IR35. I asked the HR manager and he was not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Om nom nom! feed de troll!

Comment

Excuse me?

Excuse me? Why do you think this cannot be genuine?

Comment

Originally posted by ntl737 View Post
        I have just been offered a short-term(1 month) contract starting on Monday. The rate is nothing close to what is advertised on itjobswatch.

I've tried a few calculators and the difference in take home is quite large but I don't want to do the paperwork at least initially. Also, I'd like to know a few calculators that will give me the approximate take-home pay. Can someone recommend a calculator?

Also, since my very long commute will be costing me a lot(>20 a day), can I reduce my taxes by claiming these as expenses?

Also, I'd like to know if I am inside or outside IR35. I asked the HR manager and he was not sure.

Thanks in advance!
        You'll have to realise that many of the contributors to this forum are hardened contractors who haven't got the patience to answer questions from newbies who they think haven't bothered to use the search facility or to read the first timers guide listed on the righthand side of this page.

I've got a bit of time on my hands, so I'll try to address some of your questions.

Regarding the disparity between the rate offered and that advertised by itjobswatch, there really shouldn't be any difference between the 2 figures - certainly not more than 2 or 3% difference. I would go back to the company and point this out to them. If they try to fob you off, then I would raise the matter with itjobswatch.

The decision to use a Ltd co or an umbrella depends on whether you expect to be contracting for longer than 1 month. If you are planning to go back to a permy position after this short contract, than it will probably be best to go with an umbrella.

I expect you have been using one of those old Texas Instruments jobs (ti30?). You should get better take-home calculations with something more modern. It doesn't have to complicated - something simple like a Casio SL-1100TV or a Sharp EL-344R should give good results.

You should definitely be claiming your travelling expenses in order to reduce your tax rate. In fact, many of the popular umbrella schemes require you to do this in order for them to guarantee the best effective tax rates of 15 or 16%.

Your IR35 status really depends upon the details of your new contract of employment. Things like the right of HR to substitute someone else to do your job, whether the company is expected to impose a rate cut - and whether you are obliged to accept any rate cut, and the amount of direction and control you are given over any other contractor working there are the main factors in determining your IR35 status. Without knowing the full terms of your contract and seeing the detail from the staff handbook, which HR should provide on your first day, it's impossible to give a definitive assessment of your status.

Hope this helps.

Comment

What BenchMaster said, with one additional point: if you go the umbrella route, rather than forming your own limited company, then although you can still claim back your travel expenses before tax, the rest of your contract earnings would be taxed as normal under PAYE by the umbrella. In that case, IR35 becomes irrelevant, so if you go that route it's one less thing to be concerned about.

I would definitely second the idea of using an umbrella if you aren't planning to continue in contracting; even if you plan to continue, it might be worth using an umbrella for this one-month contract, as that will give you plenty of time to read the first-timer guides (links on the right...) and decide whether to then set up your own limited company.

Oh, and congratulations on the gig

Comment

And just for contrast, my current gig is costing around £500 a week in expenses. If you think £20 is a lot, you're in the wrong trade!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

1st
              contractor calculators can easily be found to your right (on the screen not literally to your right) ----->

Do you see the CUK Navigation blue box near the top right hand corner? ok
              look down a bit
              yep past Home, News, Contractor Alliance
              oh lordy lord what's the next one? Calculators.. well how about that..

2nd
              a very simple rule, if its a wholly and exclusive business expense (i.e you would not have spent that money unless you were undertaking business/work e.g trains, taxi's, flights, hotels, post it notes, printer etc.) EXCLUSING CLOTHES/SUITS/SHOES and any other item that Mr Taxman could argue that the money wasn't spent exclusively on business related items then it is claimable as a business expense

3rd
              as stated previously, please use the search BEFORE you ask general questions as they almost all have been asked before and I for one don't see why I should hand hold you and nanny you in the most basic of stuff especially when I did the hard work and searched/looked myself and learnt as I have gone along to pass on this knowledge to someone as lazy as yourself. If you think this is a harsh attitude to take you're really not cut out to contract. I say this because unless you become thick skinned you WILL become the scape goat for a failing system, you wont get paid on time and you will get eaten alive by agents who will sell you every line going to reduce your rate and increase their profits. Also, if you can't be bothered to find out yourself about the most basic of things then you're also likely to miss things such as legal requirements i.e filing tax returns on time, vat returns, ensuring you have valid insurance etc. and so I would think twice if contracting is really for you.

I hope this serves as a bit of a wake up call... oh and welcome , come join us in General
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by BenchMaster View Post
                You'll have to realise that many of the contributors to this forum are hardened contractors who haven't got the patience to answer questions from newbies who they think haven't bothered to use the search facility or to read the first timers guide listed on the righthand side of this page.

I've got a bit of time on my hands, so I'll try to address some of your questions.

Regarding the disparity between the rate offered and that advertised by itjobswatch, there really shouldn't be any difference between the 2 figures - certainly not more than 2 or 3% difference. I would go back to the company and point this out to them. If they try to fob you off, then I would raise the matter with itjobswatch.

The decision to use a Ltd co or an umbrella depends on whether you expect to be contracting for longer than 1 month. If you are planning to go back to a permy position after this short contract, than it will probably be best to go with an umbrella.

I expect you have been using one of those old Texas Instruments jobs (ti30?). You should get better take-home calculations with something more modern. It doesn't have to complicated - something simple like a Casio SL-1100TV or a Sharp EL-344R should give good results.

You should definitely be claiming your travelling expenses in order to reduce your tax rate. In fact, many of the popular umbrella schemes require you to do this in order for them to guarantee the best effective tax rates of 15 or 16%.

Your IR35 status really depends upon the details of your new contract of employment. Things like the right of HR to substitute someone else to do your job, whether the company is expected to impose a rate cut - and whether you are obliged to accept any rate cut, and the amount of direction and control you are given over any other contractor working there are the main factors in determining your IR35 status. Without knowing the full terms of your contract and seeing the detail from the staff handbook, which HR should provide on your first day, it's impossible to give a definitive assessment of your status.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all for your responses.

Actually, I did go through the beginners information, but it is so overwhelming - even reading all the links and the experience of first timers etc - and this came out of nowhere all of a sudden! That's why I decided to post just to confirm. Thank you and I didn't mean to waste anybody's time.
                The other thing is that the other gigs are permanent and I didn't expect to get a contract here.

As far as the rate goes, the rate offered is 60% of the average rate on itjobswatch for the past 3 month period.

I tried the following calculators

That GBP 20 I mentioned is only cost of transportation. Here it is expensive! And my commute will be almost 4 hours back and forth!

Thanks again, i hope to see the paper contract soon!
                Last edited by administrator; 7 March 2011, 16:15. Reason: links removed

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  1st
                  contractor calculators can easily be found to your right (on the screen not literally to your right) ----->

Do you see the CUK Navigation blue box near the top right hand corner? ok
                  look down a bit
                  yep past Home, News, Contractor Alliance
                  oh lordy lord what's the next one? Calculators.. well how about that..

2nd
                  a very simple rule, if its a wholly and exclusive business expense (i.e you would not have spent that money unless you were undertaking business/work e.g trains, taxi's, flights, hotels, post it notes, printer etc.) EXCLUSING CLOTHES/SUITS/SHOES and any other item that Mr Taxman could argue that the money wasn't spent exclusively on business related items then it is claimable as a business expense

3rd
                  as stated previously, please use the search BEFORE you ask general questions as they almost all have been asked before and I for one don't see why I should hand hold you and nanny you in the most basic of stuff especially when I did the hard work and searched/looked myself and learnt as I have gone along to pass on this knowledge to someone as lazy as yourself. If you think this is a harsh attitude to take you're really not cut out to contract. I say this because unless you become thick skinned you WILL become the scape goat for a failing system, you wont get paid on time and you will get eaten alive by agents who will sell you every line going to reduce your rate and increase their profits. Also, if you can't be bothered to find out yourself about the most basic of things then you're also likely to miss things such as legal requirements i.e filing tax returns on time, vat returns, ensuring you have valid insurance etc. and so I would think twice if contracting is really for you.

I hope this serves as a bit of a wake up call... oh and welcome , come join us in General

I understand your frustration and I certainly don't mean to waste other people's time!
                  Filing Tax returns on Time - Never missed a deadline!
                  I read about the first timers guides as well. That' how I figured the IR35 stuff. And did the calculators, but got a difference as much as 40% on take home pay.
                  Valid insurance, Vat returns - I'll give you that, I still have to get more info. about these.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ntl737 View Post
                    For a 1 month contract, go Umbrella. Find one with a really good expenses policy and absolutely rip it by expensing everything you can. Claim a load of money for subsistance too. Take the most liberal interpretation of the expenses that you can get away with. Don't go spending money just to claim it on expenses though - that's cutting your nose off to spite your face. It's only a month so it's not like you'll get investigated for it. The worst that they will do is decline some of your expenses.

If it goes well and you are still contracting in 6 months time then get a Ltd, there are lots of ongoing costs of running a Ltd so it's not worth it for less than 6-12 months even considering the tax avoidance you can do with a Ltd.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X