• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie question - Application followups the best way?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question - Application followups the best way?

All

I am looking for some advice...

I am new to the world of contracting...

I have done a lot of research into CV's, contracts, Umbrella v Ltd, spoken with contractor-mates, rates, roles, etc, etc...

After plucking up enough courage to decide to leave the world of permie, I have started to fire off my CV to relevant roles on JobServe.co.uk and CWjobs.co.uk, which seem to be the best sites. Are they though?

I started this process at the beginning of Feb, and to-date I have applied for about 60 roles, and have heard back from less than 10%. Is this a good return?

Am I doing something wrong, not doing something at all?

My application process is:

1. Scan the websites for relevant roles
    2. Apply via websites, with CV but NO covering letter - due to varied role types, I am not sure whether a generic covering letter is better, or a individual cover letter is any good?
    3. Keep my fingers crossed for luck!!
    4. Check my emails for any resonses!

Should I be following these up? Is email or telephone better?

As a test, I applied for 2 x permie roles and have got interviews for both! Makes me thinnk my CV is okay, but is it good enough for contract roles?

Any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks
    Andy

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-feedback.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-too-many.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/52254-if-you-not-getting-interviews.html

And if they don't help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdYOAiCf-80

(And the interview offers are only telling that you have a good permie CV...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I am loving these posts. Only an ex permie would post such a detailed question around how to beat everyone else to a job on here. Ironically the people with the most time to spare to answer the Op are on the bench looking for the same roles the op is going for. Priceless......
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I am loving these posts. Only an ex permie would post such a detailed question around how to beat everyone else to a job on here. Ironically the people with the most time to spare to answer the Op are on the bench looking for the same roles the op is going for. Priceless......
          Sushh! Don't tell him!
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Brilliant! Thanks for your constructive feedback!

I have already read these threads, and whilst they are interesting, they arent relevant for my questions!

Therefore for the avoidance of doubt, I am asking the following questions:

1. Are there any other decent/useful/worthwhile/up-to-date websites offering decent contract roles?
            2. Should I follow up applications, via phone or email, after the initial application?
            3. What are the major differences (high-level required) between good permie CV and good contracting CV?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Sushh! Don't tell him!
              Oops sorry Should i ask him to paste his CV in to the thread so we can 'review' it??
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oops sorry Should i ask him to paste his CV in to the thread so we can 'review' it??
                Yep - that's the way forward.

Hang on, I'll post mine in a minute...
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Comment

Sorry am just not helpful today and in quite an odd mood.

This is probably more helpful from me than my previous posts today.

You have picked a pretty bad time to walk out of a role. You should have spent some more time on here researching how others are finding the market (there have been some very good posts on here such as http://bit.ly/d8W1nr). It is very tough still, despite a few lucky permies that I have seen on here get into contracting. I would not suggest that it is the norm at the minute for permies to easily move into contracting.

10% of the 60 is actually quite good. Hope you have a lot stashed away as you might need it.

Comment

Working...
                    X