• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Previous owner problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous owner problem

Bought our house 3 years ago. Previous owner did the bare minimum of redirections and left no forwarding address and we have been returning his mail to sender ever since.

That is until I noticed some of the post looked like late payment demands. Have contacted various places to inform them that he no longer lives here, all have been fine except his bank. Understandably so as they can't divulge info.

I am a tad worried as it appears he has taken a loan out recently with our address.

Any advice?
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Norrahe. All you can do is keep writing a message on the mail and sending it back.

It is illegal to open mail addressed to someone else regardless of the issue.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Norrahe. All you can do is keep writing a message on the mail and sending it back.

It is illegal to open mail addressed to someone else regardless of the issue.
      I am aware of that, but I do not want bailiffs turning up on my doorstep. (having been informed by my neighbours that he had lots of gambling debts)

There is also the fact that his business is still registered at my address also.

And there is also another fact that they have fraudulently taken a loan out in our address.
      Last edited by norrahe; 6 March 2010, 10:15.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        I am aware of that, but I do not want bailiffs turning up on my doorstep.

There is also the fact that his business is still registered at my address also.

And there is also another fact that they have fraudulently taken a loan out in our address.
        jeez. scary stuff

did you ever meet them ?
        it's like identity theft, but worse
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          jeez. scary stuff

did you ever meet them ?
          Yep, when we bought the house off them.

I'm aware it's a tad naughty to open the mail, but we've noticed some of the post truning up recently wasn't the usual junk mail and given his history, I don't want bailiffs turning up.

When I noticed the HMRC stuff a couple of years back, it was sent back, but i rang them straight away as I certainly don't want to get investigated because he's defaulted on taxes etc...

The neighbours don't have any contact details and neither do the estate agents.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

We had an issue with unpaid debts from a previous occupant. Got a lot of phone calls (even though we had a different number - they debt collection agencies must have somehow got the number for the address.) Seems very difficult to convince them that the person no longer lives there - I guess they do speak to a lot of people who lie! But they get quite aggressive and tell you your home is at risk - rubbish - it isn't. They have to prove you're liable for the debt (which clearly you aren't). I always return mail with 'Moved n years ago' written on it. Seems to have stopped now, so I guess they finally got the message.

If you think they're still taking out new loans at your address, it might be worth contacting the police.

Comment

You might want to write to companies house and explain the situation re: the business address.

I would also consider checking your credit record with equifax, experian etc and if anything about the loan appears contact the reference agency to correct it and they will contact the lender. This will tend to cause notice to be taken, whereas sending mail back often doesn't.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                Yep, when we bought the house off them.

I'm aware it's a tad naughty to open the mail, but we've noticed some of the post truning up recently wasn't the usual junk mail and given his history, I don't want bailiffs turning up.

When I noticed the HMRC stuff a couple of years back, it was sent back, but i rang them straight away as I certainly don't want to get investigated because he's defaulted on taxes etc...

The neighbours don't have any contact details and neither do the estate agents.
                there was a contractor who posted on here a while ago who moonlighted as a private dick. I cant remember the details

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I know someone who had bother in this way, they kept the mortgage certificate and passports next to the door as the bailiffs came a couple of times. I think the bailiffs were fairly decent about it, just wanted proof. I don't thikn there is a magic wand in this situation, let the parties know is all you can do, nobody is going to pull you up for opening his mail.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    jeez. scary stuff

did you ever meet them ?
                    What a stupid comment.

Course it's not worse than identity theft. He's got some mail coming to his house for FFS. He just writes back on the letter, then eventually the loan company gets the message. They dont send baliffs round.

I had my identity stolen 12 months ago. Trust me. It's definitely not worse!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X