• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A cold sweat moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cold sweat moment

Renewing the SSL cert on ClientCo's server, easy enough. Make the changes to the config files and restart Apache.

Seg fault, Apache won't start, site, online shop and software reg server gone. The phone's ringing already. Sphincter factor of ten

Got it back in a few minutes but jeez I haven't had a cold sweat moment like that in a while.

Note to self: Don't tinker with the configs after a few glasses of wine, just cos ClientCo can't see

Any other WTF have I done moments?
    Me, me, me...

It's a measurement of time elapsed - the nono second. It's the time between pressing the button and realising that you really shouldn't have done this. Varies according to competency.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Any other WTF have I done moments?
      In the 90s I was working on an e-commerce extranet site for a very Big Telco. The server-side stuff had been farmed out to some database company that had no previous web experience (they had to ask me how to use cookies) and were apparently relying on the client-side JS validation I'd put in.

One day, having discovered that both Netscape Navigator 3 and Internet Explorer 3 allowed JavaScript to put text in an input field that was longer than the maximum length specified in the HTML (by typing something like javascript:void(document.forms[0].elements["username"].value="overly long string"); into the location bar) I submitted the form just to confirm my suspicion that the back end wouldn't cope too well.

It didn't. In fact, that very early version of Oracle Application Server not only crashed, it brought the whole server down.

At that point I realised that I wasn't, as I had thought, on the development server - I was on the live site, and said Big Telco's entire e-commerce presence had just vanished from the web

Luckily it rebooted itself in a few minutes, and nobody noticed - or if they did, they just assumed it had crashed of its own volition, as web servers were wont to do in those days.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      It's a measurement of time elapsed - the nono second. It's the time between pressing the button and realising that you really shouldn't have done this. Varies according to competency.
      WHS

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Really long knotty post that made my brain hurt
        Couldn't you have just gone with something like dropped a database I shouldn't or sumfink
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
        X