• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving up the tree

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving up the tree

Does anyone else find that the higher the rate, the lower the status?

I'm writing software on a daily rate that I'm extremely happy with but a long way down the pecking order as far as status goes. Nothing wrong with that but do people feel the need to "climb the ladder" and become team leads etc. or just keep doing dogsbody work and taking the cash?

After 10 years of coding I'm getting a little jack of it but the "better" jobs don't seem to pay anywhere near as well!

Originally posted by GeorgeGregan

I'm writing software on a daily rate that I'm extremely happy with but a long way down the pecking order as far as status goes. Nothing wrong with that but do people feel the need to "climb the ladder" and become team leads etc. or just keep doing dogsbody work and taking the cash?

After 10 years of coding I'm getting a little jack of it but the "better" jobs don't seem to pay anywhere near as well!
    No I don't feel the need to climb the ladder. I had a load of that years ago. In fact, I was good at what I did and kept getting pushed up the ladder.

If you are earning the money why do you care about where you are in the pecking order?

When my kids ask about leaving school, I don't say "you get a good job and climb the ladder", I say "you make as much money as you can and look after it".

It might amount to the same thing in many cases, but it's an attitude thing, and I wish I had been brought up that way.

Comment

Try asking Chico. Apparently he's a "big hitter" in IT and might be able to give you some relevant perspective.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

"I'm writing software on a daily rate that I'm extremely happy with but a long way down the pecking order as far as status goes",

hmm let's think about it like this, which of these two has the best chance of paying the bills...

.a daily rate that I'm extremely happy with

.status and a fancy title

Milan.

Comment

time for a little extrapolation

question, would I like the idea of getting my current rate plus 50% for sitting at home doing nothing

money = higher
          status = lower

of course I would. you cant spend status
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

"Moving up the tree" is a pursuit for permies (or monkies).

Comment

the bigger the rate the lower (and easier) the job

the databases I am looking after get smaller and smaller the richer the market I move to

This is great

I expect that in 5 years time I will be working for Goldman Sachs and looking after an Access database with 5 tables in it and no more than 20 rows in each. There might be a few indexes but that would be quite complicated. There will only ever be one user in it at any one time. And my rate will be around £1,500 a day.

That's if the linearity of my rate progression, as well as the linearity of the complexity of my job, are constant over the next 5 years
              Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I've only come across one female DBA; and she was quite fit. Never got to see her ass as she wasn't into tree climbing either.
                Last edited by Bovvered; 9 January 2006, 10:30.

Comment

Who cares about status when you are pulling in big bucks. The money
                  is what is important and the more the better. You need plenty of lovely shiny crisp £50 pound notes to roll up all that canabis and snorting a line of coke from the asscheeks of a beautiful bird doesn't come cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeGregan

Just started working on "Fixed Price" projects from my own office, the future's bright! More work than I can shake a stick at. The only problem currently is that I think I'm going to have to move back into a Ltd Co. status as I've found that agencies seem reluctant to accept fixed price deals...

Ah well.

Comment

Working...
                    X