• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway average speed cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway average speed cameras

On my weekly commute I encounter lots of sets of road works with average speed cameras and I move into the first lane sit behind a lorry and comply with the speed limit of 50mph.
    BUT I am always getting over taken and it seems that only half of the cars are doing 50, the rest seem to be going much faster. Am I missing something? does 50mph mean up to 60 or something?
    I'm just surprised that so many cars seem to whizz through the cameras, I'm not going to put it to the test - as I'm sure someone will suggest

Has anyone been caught speeding on one of these average speed thingies ?
    At the last count I went through 7 sets of these from Manchester to Swindon
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    On my weekly commute I encounter lots of sets of road works with average speed cameras and I move into the first lane sit behind a lorry and comply with the speed limit of 50mph.
    BUT I am always getting over taken and it seems that only half of the cars are doing 50, the rest seem to be going much faster. Am I missing something? does 50mph mean up to 60 or something?
    I'm just surprised that so many cars seem to whizz through the cameras, I'm not going to put it to the test - as I'm sure someone will suggest

Has anyone been caught speeding on one of these average speed thingies ?
    At the last count I went through 7 sets of these from Manchester to Swindon
    Indicated speed will be less than actual - have a look at the current speed on your GPS.

Chances are that if you're doing 50 indicated by your speedo then you're probably only doing 46(ish).

Comment

Put the climate control on, pop Jeff Wayne's War of the World into the CD player, adjust the lumbar support in the leather seats and enjoy the journey.

I don't do stressful travel anymore. It's way too much hard work.

Comment

yup I've noticed it's approx 10% higher recorded speed than on my GPS..
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Put the climate control on, pop Jeff Wayne's War of the World into the CD player, adjust the lumbar support in the leather seats and enjoy the journey.

I don't do stressful travel anymore. It's way too much hard work.
          WPLS++;

5 hours from Swindon to Manchester is no joke but whaddyado?

Comment

There's normally a 10% leeway given for inaccurate speedos. I used to know a copper who did traffic duty and they would not stop a car (in a 70 zone) unless they were doingn well over 80 (or 77 to be exact)

some of the average speed cameras aren't on but the deterrent is enough to keep the speeds down.

wouldn't test them though

Comment

Most modern car speedometers are set to display 7-10% higher speed than the car is actually doing so if you're pootling along at an indicated 50 then odds are you're actually doing 45ish. To accurately know how far off your speedo is you need a speed trap or police calibrated device...

Some muppets on the motorways don't know what "average speed" actually means so they clog it and break between cameras.

There are absolutely loads of these average speed camera areas now, the M62 between Leeds and Rochdale is a succession of them, the M1 has a fair few including a memorable chunk near Nottingham of 18 ish miles which was followed after a 2 mile pause by another mile or two near Leicester.

At some point they will just make the entire motorway network average speed checked irrespective of roadworks...

(edit: damnit that will teach me to write so slowly, I agree with the other posters!!!)

Comment

At 50mph on my speedo my GPS only says 46.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  At 50mph on my speedo my GPS only says 46.
                  Same here.

When the GPS reads 50 the speedo indicates 55ish.

Comment

Originally posted by GCR99 View Post
                    There's normally a 10% leeway given for inaccurate speedos. I used to know a copper who did traffic duty and they would not stop a car (in a 70 zone) unless they were doingn well over 80 (or 77 to be exact)
                    That's a popular myth, as is the one about speedos all over-reading. Remember GPS is only accurate if you're on the level and at a constant speed.

I notice a lot of people going way faster than the 50 limits too, so maybe they really aren't switched on, or all those people are driving stolen or unregistered cars, or are just stupid.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X