PDA

View Full Version : Great Business Idea

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th April 2010, 20:52
Just had a mega brain wave... imagine....

a website with ratings, reviews and recommended agents. We can have like a top 10 chart of all the agencies broken down by region and then you can see individual reviews.

What do you think?

The Wikir Man
6th April 2010, 20:56
What do you think?

I think it's been discussed before a few times on CUK and decided that it wasn't a particularly good idea - one man's meat is another man's poison.

Plus, you have the potential problem of libellous comments....

NickFitz
6th April 2010, 20:59
I think it's been discussed before a few times on CUK and decided that it wasn't a particularly good idea - one man's meat is another man's poison.

+1 for it being a fast track to threats of writs for libel :frown

Cliphead
6th April 2010, 21:00

What, like CP are sh!te?

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th April 2010, 21:03
I got threats from an estate agency a few months ago for giving them bad press. What is it with Agents? It doesn't even matter what industry they work in, they all the same.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th April 2010, 21:04
+1 for it being a fast track to threats of writs for libel

what if it is moderated or you try and keep it scientific e.g. numeric ratings rather than actual comments?

cojak
6th April 2010, 21:06
Just had a mega brain wave... imagine....

a website with ratings, reviews and recommended agents. We can have like a top 10 chart of all the agencies broken down by region and then you can see individual reviews.

What do you think?

You're joking, right?

MaryPoppins
what if it is moderated or you try and keep it scientific e.g. numeric ratings rather than actual comments?

It wouldn't work.

For example:

I'd give a blanket score of -1 for every agent in the known universe.

Spacecadet
I got threats from an estate agency a few months ago for giving them bad press. What is it with Agents? It doesn't even matter what industry they work in, they all the same.

Tell me about it!
I know this one knob of an agent, who we'll call "james". Different girl every week, although they do seem to see sense and dissappear.
He's always "going abroad" but can never say what for cause it "secret like".
Last time I saw him I was at a mates barbeque... the tosser turned up in a ******* tuxedo!

MarillionFan
There used to be one. There are at least half a dozen posts on the previous CUK board relating to it. No, I can't be bothered to find them. No, I can't remember the name. Yes, I believe it got shut down due to libel comments on it.

Go for it though. I believe now is a great time and as long as the posters remain anonymous, then you'd be libel, not us.

Hays. Tossers!:eyes

d000hg
6th April 2010, 21:07
+1 for it being a fast track to threats of writs for libel :frownThe web's full of review sites for products, couldn't manufacturers complain in the same way if everyone writes 'this TV is crap'?

Run the site through an off-shore company if needs be. Highlight (and exercise) a policy of moderating excessive reviews. Give agents a chance to respond to reviews. Etc. But, it's the individuals I'd say would need tracking, not the companies.

I had an idea for something along these lines but it was much more profit oriented, a tool which helps contractors (and agents) but is intended as a business. Maybe one day when I have a web-dev going spare...

darmstadt
6th April 2010, 21:13
There used to a great site like that over here but it too seems to have disappeared however Gulp do in fact have a 'whitelist' which gives you an indication of which agencies are good (a numerical rating) so you can probably take that agencies not mentioned are no good. There is a very long questionnaire you have to fill in and you can also make comments about the 'black sheep.' All in all a very detailed analysis of which agencies are any good.

MarillionFan
6th April 2010, 21:13
A much better idea would be to set up a site where you rate ex-lovers. You could set up your account, and then list your conquests, associating their nicknames with their email accounts!!!!

Oh hang on a second. I'm suggesting this on an IT Contracting website, which has 20,000 members with an IT bias.

WTF am I thinking!

FAIL :suicide:

MaryPoppins
6th April 2010, 21:16
A much better idea would be to set up a site where you rate ex-lovers. You could set up your account, and then list your conquests, associating their nicknames with their email accounts!!!!

Oh hang on a second. I'm suggesting this on an IT Contracting website, which has 20,000 members with an IT bias.

WTF am I thinking!

FAIL :suicide:

Two of my (dubious) male friends did this.

SueEllen
6th April 2010, 21:17
One of the reasons it wouldn't work is that on every forum or review site where companies are slagged off they either log on at Head Office with different names or get the managers in the branches you are complaining about to write comments about how wonderful they are.

If they can't generate enough comments they then sue the site for libel..........

Until the UK libel laws change a site like that isn't viable.

MarillionFan
6th April 2010, 21:22
Two of my (dubious) male friends did this.

and what was your rating Mary? 10 out of 10, or needs to try harder? :freaky:

The Wikir Man
6th April 2010, 21:32

If it's moderated, and you include comments, then you are potentially opening yourself up to even more problems - you knew there was a chance that it could be libellous, but didn't do enough to stop it => legal problems.

Numeric ratings are meaningless - one particularly bad rating from one person might skew things. Plus, I would want to know exactly WHY people were giving a bad rating, rather than just their scores.

The Wikir Man
6th April 2010, 21:32
Tell me about it!
I know this one knob of an agent, who we'll call "james". Different girl every week, although they do seem to see sense and dissappear.
He's always "going abroad" but can never say what for cause it "secret like".
Last time I saw him I was at a mates barbeque... the tosser turned up in a ******* tuxedo!

So, which one are you - Mitchell or Webb?

Spacecadet
6th April 2010, 21:41
So, which one are you - Mitchell or Webb?

Ah! Someone with taste

Peoplesoft bloke
6th April 2010, 22:24
The biggest issue I see with this is that pimp's and clientco's interests and ours aren't always the same.

If clientco has an agreement with pimpco, then bad reviews won't make any difference - if you want the gig there, you have to work via badpimp.

expat
6th April 2010, 23:31
The biggest issue I see with this is that pimp's and clientco's interests and ours aren't always the same.

If clientco has an agreement with pimpco, then bad reviews won't make any difference - if you want the gig there, you have to work via badpimp.Clients don't give a shit. Clients' HR give a shit but not about contractors (or clients). Agents BS incessantly but won't stand for other people's BS: so they will shut down honest critical discussion, while spamming review sites with their inflated positive self-reviews.

And TBH contractors don't give a shit either. If the agency comes up with the contract, and pays you, you'll do it with or without a positive review of the agency. Or if you won't, I will.

The only thing that would change all that is IT contracting becoming a profession. Not only is it clearly not so at the moment, it is the most demanding job in terms of required intelligence, knowledge, and training, that I can think of that is not an organised profession. But I do not see it becoming one, sadly.

Churchill
7th April 2010, 03:19
How would it be funded? How could you syphon off 500k for "web services"?

Some bloody business idea that is, eh?