• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Managing website accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing website accounts

I currently use a simple excel spreadsheet to keep a track of all my website username/passwords.

I tend to have separate passwords for each website but this is impractical and I have been meaning to standardise this to just half a dozen and thought I would attempt to do this now.

Several years ago, there was an article in Computer Weekly where they questioned commuters at a railway station and asked them questions about IT. Stuff like do you surf the internet, what is your favourite football team, favourite flower etc. One of the questions they asked was "what is you network password" and the majority of respondents offered up their password. Lo and behold, the majority of respondents network password matched their fotbal team or favourite flower!

Anyway, as part of the article a security correspondent advised splitting your website accounts into categories and having separate passwords for each category.

For example, grouping all etailers in one category and having the same password for this category.

I can't find the article but is anyone familiar with this approach or can provide guidance on the best way to tackle this task?

I have over 200 accounts most of which are for sites which are probably defunct but I'd rather implement an up-to-date standardised approach for the valid accounts from the outset of this tidy up.

It the way you categorise that counts, I think.

I view my accounts through security categories for passwords, like a gobstopper.

1 - Not important, no information on site.
    2 - Not important, some info on site
    3 - Quite important, no info on site
    4 - Important, so info on site, purchases made.
    5 - Very Important, company website, banking.

1 has lots of sites, 5 has a handful.

Something like this maybe?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The snag with categories comes when you want to sign up to a read only mailing list, where in spite of offering no posting or other privileges, they insist on a complex password.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I use a password management tool. I can't think of the name of it now but it's OpenSource. I just need to remember the one password for the tool

Comment

Keychain Access
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

http://www.roboform.com/

Password protection to access the system. Browser plugin so you get a toolbar for the prog, click on it, browse folder structure, click the login you want and it takes you to the web page and automatically logs you in. If you have browsed to the site you want to log in to then a log in, or list of logins, appears in another box, select the one you want and it logs you in. I would be lost without this software! It also has a password creation tool to save you thinking about one and using something obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              http://www.roboform.com/

Password protection to access the system. Browser plugin so you get a toolbar for the prog, click on it, browse folder structure, click the login you want and it takes you to the web page and automatically logs you in. If you have browsed to the site you want to log in to then a log in, or list of logins, appears in another box, select the one you want and it logs you in. I would be lost without this software! It also has a password creation tool to save you thinking about one and using something obvious.
              I have been using this for thje last couple of years and it is the dog's danglies. Allows you to save standard details for forms and fill in at touch of a button as well as credit card details..

Also protects you against keyloggers as you never have to type the password.

I would have disappeared off the face of the earth if it wasn't for this.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do you use the Pro or the Free version NLUK?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I liked it so much I actually bought a licence!

You are going to tell me there is something in the paper about them passing credit card details to the Russians or something now arn't you???
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    The snag with categories comes when you want to sign up to a read only mailing list, where in spite of offering no posting or other privileges, they insist on a complex password.
                    Grr. Just say no. There is a point beyond which I will not take any more tulip. Quite a lot of the internet has passed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X