• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Refurb Mac Book

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refurb Mac Book

I'm thinking of buying a Macbook, however I can't justify the cost of a brand new shiny one.
    Has anyone bought an refurb from the apple site ?

As I've never had a mac before, what should I be looking for ?

Go for the Pro rather than the standard model. The Pro version is a better spec and an all aluminium case. Pro's will also give you longer battery life at the expense of added weight.

Unless you need to save space or weight for portability the 17" screens are the ones to go for.

Refurb kit from Apple is generally very good and you should have no problems with it.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Macbook or Macbook Pro?

13" macbook is the baby - good for uni students & your gran
      13" macbook pro is not quite the workhorse of the other sizes, but still cap[able with discreet graphics
      15" & 17" are the workhorse machines - pick whatever spec suits...

If you are buying refurb from the apple site, there's nothing much else to look out for.

You'll be getting a Core 2 Duo as a minimum. Go for 4GB ram if you want to run a virtual machine.

Screens mostly come as Glossy (I think Sony call it x-black all the other manufacturers have a similar market BS) you may or may not like that. Anti-glare screens are a paid for extra so check what you're getting if you have a preference.

Check the buyers guide for some more info.

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

Every mac comes with iLife (photo manage/edt + garage band + dvd authoring + video editing)
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Go for the Pro rather than the standard model. The Pro version is a better spec and an all aluminium case. Pro's will also give you longer battery life at the expense of added weight.

Unless you need to save space or weight for portability the 17" screens are the ones to go for.

Refurb kit from Apple is generally very good and you should have no problems with it.
        MacBook has also been aluminium case since late 2008.

N.B. There's a mistake in that Wikipedia entry - it claims that the lack of a FireWire port means Target Disk mode isn't supported, but in fact all Intel Macs support Target Disk mode via USB. EDIT: or maybe I'm thinking of the fact that they can boot from external USB drives, which isn't the same thing at all
        Last edited by NickFitz; 27 April 2010, 12:08.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          MacBook has also been aluminium case since late 2008.
          Until the 13" Macbook Pro came out in the last (?) iteration.

Macbook moniker is reserved for the white model now.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Yep they backtracked on the unibody for standard MacBooks. I'm pleased I got mine when I did, the aluminium body is probably the best thing about it.

Get one with decent graphics (nVidia) which is the easy way to tell good ones from cheap low-spec ones IIRC.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
            X