• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

World's 50 Best Restaurants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World's 50 Best Restaurants

Last edited by Lightship; 14 June 2011, 01:33.

Only the St John, and I'm surprised to see it listed because it's more like a gastropub and not at all poncey (I went there on a stag night). They did a nice grouse but they are mainly known for their hearty use of cuts of meat that other places turn their noses up at.

Comment

14) L'Hotel de Ville

The town hall cafeteria?
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Maybe it's my taste, but I think there are better restaurants in Denmark. There's a fine Japanese on Vesterbrogade, and I went to a superb Chinese in Holbæk the other day.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Well you'd know if anyone would threaded!

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
            Well you'd know if anyone would threaded!
            Oud Sluis and de Librije are both outstanding but on my taste they'd be the other way round.

I've eaten in both, but can't make it regularly as unfortunately both have 18 month waiting lists.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I was hinting that he is a fat knacker

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship View Post
                Am I missing anything?
                Erm, yes, some of them. I’m not all that keen on the mad scientist Heston Blumenthal stuff, but that’s personal taste; he’s obviously very talented and able, but my tastes are a little more traditional. I’ve eaten in the two Dutch places, Librije and Oud Sluis, and they are worth it. Perfect combinations of food and wine (not nearly perfect, I mean perfect), top quality produce, exciting taste combinations but always well matched. Librije wins it for me because their food also has a clear regional connection; not just in the produce, which is all from around where I live, but because of the cooking methods; a lot of slow cooking and braising and an approach which keeps it close to the simplicity of the region’s food. The chef, Jonny Boer, is passionate about the region’s food and has elevated what was simple farmers’ fare to top rate food. His wife is the wine expert and pays enormous attention to every detail. They have a second restaurant, also in Zwolle, called ‘Librije’s Zusje’, which is also outstanding, serving the dishes that were on the menu at Librije a year earlier. The best meal I ever had was at Librije; instead of choosing from the menu I phoned them beforehand and asked for my favourite wine, a Bruno Giacosa Barolo, and they cooked around the wine choice; perfect.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

If you like Indian food (though is not Indian because is normally cooked by Banglas) I could not recommend more Shalamar Sharmas in Bangkok. This is real home from home for me and they do the best idli fry. Second to this I like Kwality Restaurant in Abu Dhabi.

Comment

Not one French restaurant in the top ten? Surely they cannot be serious?

Comment

Working...
                    X