• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motherboad + Proc recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboad + Proc recommendation

Since mine is now kaput I am in the market for a new motherboard and processor.

Budget about £300.

Will be running XP plus linux over Virtualbox. Used for ripping DVDs, tinterweb, usual home PC carp plus minor techy stuff when the mood takes me.

TIA

PL
    Last edited by Pondlife; 5 May 2010, 08:52.

Get a processor with as many cores as you can afford.

Comment

Don't forget you will need memory and possibly a new power supply as well as your old one may not connect correctly to the new. I usually get a new silent heatsink as well as the supplied ones are sometimes a bit noisy...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz Socket 775 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer - £112

Asus P5G41-M-INTELG41 Socket 775 VGA HDMI Out 6 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard - Ebuyer - £40

Crucial 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 - Ebuyer - 2 x £37

Nesteq E2CS X-Strike Ultra-Quiet PSUs, 80PLUS - £80

£306

This was a quick flick through the two sites and you should not base your purchases on this just in case components don't quite match!! No heatsink included and P&P not allowed for...

Comment

Scrap that motherboard - it has on board GFX and I am not a fan. Although if you go for one without onboard graphics then you may need to get a new vid card which could be £50-£100. This would be a pretty nifty machine though - get one with 1GB vid card and it would fly through DVD ripping and handle the VM etc with ease.

Comment

Cheers both.

Comment

Any good you reckon? I know sweet FA about hardware (and other) stuff.

Asus P7P55D-E LX LGA1156 Motherboard + Intel Core i5 750 Processor BUNDLE (ASUSINTELBUNDLE) - dabs.com

£273 inc Vat

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              Scrap that motherboard - it has on board GFX and I am not a fan. Although if you go for one without onboard graphics then you may need to get a new vid card which could be £50-£100. This would be a pretty nifty machine though - get one with 1GB vid card and it would fly through DVD ripping and handle the VM etc with ease.
              Just a quick question, what has a 1GB video card got to do with DVD ripping? Do you use ripping software that uses the display processor?

Comment

Are there any reasonably priced boards that would take 16gb RAM? Or even 32/64? Or am I stuck with the venerable Sun Blade 2500 (Silver) I use for zoning?

I wanna setup a VDI solution at home....

Comment

Working...
                X