• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycle to Work Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycle to Work Scheme

If you're not already aware of it, this is a government scheme to encourage employees to cycle to work by offering cuts on tax, NI and VAT to companies if they purchase bikes and loan or lease them to their employees.
    I'm interested in whether I could register my limited company and purchase a bike under the terms of the scheme. Having had a quick read of the DTI website, it look as if this could be feasible in principle, but I wondered if anyone here has experience of doing this, and could offer advice?
    Cheers
    Ken
    Cycle to Work Scheme

Q: Who is eligible?
    A: Employers of all sizes

I think there is your answer. Go for it!

Comment

Minor problem. Home in Bristol, work in City of London....
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If your Ltd buys you a bicycle then you can't claim mileage allowance for cycling to client sites. Currently this is 20p a mile, which is quite generous.

For instance last year I (legitimately) claimed £500 in cycle miles, and yet the true cost was obviously much lower (chain oil, bike depreciation, a few extra bowls of cereal...)

On a similar note companies can declare a Cycle to Work day once a month, whereby employees who cycle to work are eligible for a free company breakfast.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/ebi...yclists-03.htm

My accountant believes this is unreceipted, so you can claim an extra £5 or so each month
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          Wimp - whats wrong with cycling down the M4

Comment

Work has a pretty good bike scheme, can borrow up to £1500 and then pay back over the next x years (money taken before tax is taken out).

Am tempted to get me a hellbeast bike, just need to sort somewhere to park it at home though...wonder if I can move the kids out of their room?

Mailman

Comment

has anyone actually implemented one of these schemes as a contractor working for their own Limited?

P

Comment

Originally posted by krussell
                If you're not already aware of it, this is a government scheme to encourage employees to cycle to work by offering cuts on tax, NI and VAT to companies if they purchase bikes and loan or lease them to their employees.
                I'm interested in whether I could register my limited company and purchase a bike under the terms of the scheme. Having had a quick read of the DTI website, it look as if this could be feasible in principle, but I wondered if anyone here has experience of doing this, and could offer advice?
                Cheers
                Ken
                Cycle to Work Scheme

It's a great idea. I can't wait to see Tony Blair and Gordon Brown get on their bikes and **** OFF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                  Problem solved, peddle fast.

Comment

The paperwork required can be quite involved and easy to mess up. There are lots of booklets and example employment and hire contracts out there to help, but really, so much paperwork. I would go so far as to suggest that you'd be better off working a few extra hours for the client and buy the bike normally.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X