• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible new job, with new agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible new job, with new agent

Sorry, newbie question... I'm six weeks into this contracting malarkey and just renewed my contract for a further week just today. Thought this might be a sign to start looking at other options, but before I had time to do that I've just picked up a message on my phone from another agency about a vacancy.

Now, I've read plenty on here about what not to say when talking to new agents, but just wanted some advise on 'the procedure' as it were for a new agency & job before I call them back after work today.

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
    Sorry, newbie question... I'm six weeks into this contracting malarkey and just renewed my contract for a further week just today. Thought this might be a sign to start looking at other options, but before I had time to do that I've just picked up a message on my phone from another agency about a vacancy.

Now, I've read plenty on here about what not to say when talking to new agents, but just wanted some advise on 'the procedure' as it were for a new agency & job before I call them back after work today.
    Well first off the actual ratio of realistic contract opportunties versus random calls from agents is pretty dam small, especially as you get in to the scene more and your CV starts to make the rounds. You will get pestered to buggery from agents about total crap. First step then is to ring him and get the basics and find what he has. There is a very high likely hood it will be miles away, you don't fit at all, its permanent, the rate is ridiculously low etc So validate all this first before you start down the line of negotiation and acceptance etc.

Even if you just ask him for the basic details and a copy of the job spec. Once you have filtered the trash out THEN you can start thinking about playing clever with him and making decisions.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thanks. yeah I thought that would be the case.

The message was along the lines of "got a vacancy that would be perfect for you" so will have to give them a call. I emailed them after looking up their number just to see if they would send me any details through before I get time to speak to them.
      The agency is based in the same city as me which is better, just hope the job is as local to them as the current one. I'm currently with a company in the same building as my agency!

Comment

thanks. yeah I thought that would be the case.

The message was along the lines of "got a vacancy that would be perfect for you" so will have to give them a call. I emailed them after looking up their number just to see if they would send me any details through before I get time to speak to them.
        The agency is based in the same city as me which is better, just hope the job is as local to them as the current one. I'm currently with a company in the same building as my agency!
        Generally, agents don't discuss anything over emails. If they have a role they want to speak to you first and make sure you dont take their information and go elsewhere - if they dont have a role they need to talk to you for their fishing....

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
          Generally, agents don't discuss anything over emails. If they have a role they want to speak to you first and make sure you dont take their information and go elsewhere - if they dont have a role they need to talk to you for their fishing....
          Good point made. You will just have to think on your feet when you speak to him and gauge his questions, don't give him names or positions in the past and all that. If he isn't speaking to you about one particular contract then be wary. I see this commented a lot in the forums but I have to say I don't think I have had this very often at all. Infact I can't remember when an agent outright fished me. They may have been wooly and collected my CV when they really didn't have a post but I don't think this has happened alot and to be honest I am quite happy for an agent to take my CV and put it on his system. Might come to something one day but avoid giving past clients, names etc

Don't get your hopes up. They have some very strange practices where the London agency has rung me about roles in the North West when they have multiple offices in the North. Depends where the clients head office is and if you will be working for them or in a regional office. Fingers crossed though. Not too sure if I would see working in the same building as an agent as a good thing lol. At least when he screws you over you can beat him to a pulp in the carpark as he leaves!! lol

Comment

Yeah its a permie job

oh well. Shame, much closer to home than my current job & avoids all the busy motorways!

Think I'll pass on my updated CV to them anyway incase they have anything else.

Comment

Yeah its a permie job
              9 times out of 10......

Comment

well hopefully there'll be more contract work beyond next week!

Comment

Yeah its a permie job
                  Ahh, they have to ask I suppose. Lots of contractors get fed up and go permie.

Keep hunting, unless you don't mind having a nice summer break. Remember that August (and Christmas) can be slow because everyone buggers off on holidays.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Yeah its a permie job

oh well. Shame, much closer to home than my current job & avoids all the busy motorways!

Think I'll pass on my updated CV to them anyway incase they have anything else.
                    As I expected it wouldn't come to much. Don't get too hung up on it being a dead lead. You will get sick of them and you will expect it after awhile and be pleasantly surprised when it is actually of interest. Just a mindset change that will come in time.

Sticking the CV in is a great idea. Keep plugging at them. The number of duff calls will increase but you only need one of them to be the right one so get them calls coming in.

Comment

Working...
                    X