• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clientco Backup Policy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clientco Backup Policy

Just discovered that Clientco's policy on data backups are down to the individual.

There are no shared folders, no user directory, no backup whatsoever!!! On asking, it is said it is down to the individual to ensure they back up their own laptops/desktops and take it offsite!!!!

Has anyone come across a company like this before???
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Just discovered that Clientco's policy on data backups are down to the individual.

There are no shared folders, no user directory, no backup whatsoever!!! On asking, it is said it is down to the individual to ensure they back up their own laptops/desktops and take it offsite!!!!

No

What happens if your hard disk dies and you haven't backed it up? Do you get sued?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I remember working for a client where the database backups were on the same physical device as the database. And as the database grew the space for the backups reduced and they could only store one backup. Then one weekend there was a problem.

And the problem occurred on Friday night. Not discovered until Monday morning. So it was a panic for a few hours while I recovered the data from the warehouse fullfillment system.

Gotta love those smart SA's
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        No

What happens if your hard disk dies and you haven't backed it up? Do you get sued?
        Well it don't look good. Company has 100k plus employees!!!!!

Decided to renew insurances for this gig. What I know of the client so far they appear coldly ruthless.

They think nothing at terminating contractors as far as I'm told.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

In theory, no.
          In practice (places where restores would only be done upon successful submission of a Restore Request Form, with a 14 day turnaround) - yes.

Comment

Decided to renew insurances for this gig.

Comment

Sounds like they might be hoping your work gets lost...
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

They think nothing at terminating contractors as far as I'm told.
                Hence why we're all surprised you're still there...

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  Hence why we're all surprised you're still there...
                  It must be ze money...

Comment

Are you talking about developers' home directories, or source code repositories, or everything, including customer data?! Whichever it is, they must be bonkers!

At my last permie job some years ago, everything was backed up religiously on the usual daily and weekly schedule. Then one day, for the first time in months, someone requested a restore and it turned out that all the backup tapes were blank! Turned out that a a board in their backup server had overheated and a chip had dropped out, and for all that time the backup utility had been reporting a successful backup when in fact nothing had happened. The moral is a backup should attempt to read back some or all of the files backed up, to ensure that it really worked.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X