PDA

View Full Version : Just in case

suityou01
2nd August 2010, 23:13
things are going to go nutty in the middle east, what should I be stockpiling in my shed? Gerry cans of diesel? Freeze dried food? Long life first aid kits?

Should I be reading books on which mushrooms indigenous to our fair lands are edible? Ray Mears books?

Christmas is coming and I need to write a list. :tongue

HairyArsedBloke
2nd August 2010, 23:25
Bullets
Krugerrands
Bullets
Guns
Bullets
Bottled Water
Bullets
and more bullets

suityou01
2nd August 2010, 23:30
Bullets
Krugerrands
Bullets
Guns
Bullets
Bottled Water
Bullets
and more bullets

:laugh:laugh

A decisive answer, I like that. Evian or volvic?

Zippy
2nd August 2010, 23:39
WHABS plus
Knives
Tins of beans
Toilet rols
Iodine tablets (helps with mild cases of radiation poisoning, I think)
Change of underwear
200 fags
Case of beer
Peanuts (salted)

suityou01
2nd August 2010, 23:52
WHABS plus
Knives
Tins of beans
Toilet rols
Change of underwear
200 fags
Case of beer
Peanuts (salted)

darn it, google says it's only good if treating exposure to radioactive iodine. :(
Whereas salted peanuts and beer and fags can cure all ills so I am told. ;)

NickFitz
3rd August 2010, 01:57
Gerry cans

:spel Jerrycans

Should I be reading books on which mushrooms indigenous to our fair lands are edible?

Psilocybe semilanceata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_semilanceata) is both indigenous and edible. It has the additional benefit of leading your mind to the contemplation of more interesting matters than the decline of consumerist society :freaky:

NickFitz
3rd August 2010, 02:21
darn it, google says it's only good if treating exposure to radioactive iodine. :(

Iodine happens to be one of the elements that the kind of stuff that comes from exploding nuclear devices or power stations turns into an isotope of during the process of radioactive decay. The iodine isotope also comes along very early in the process.

If you absorb a quantity of fallout from such a catastrophe, much of it will turn into radioactive iodine in a very short space of time and be taken up by your thyroid gland, which loves the stuff and can't distinguish between isotopes. Those atoms will then decay further into isotopes of elements such as uranium (which is probably what it started as), but the real problem is that those atoms are now concentrated in your thyroid gland. As a result, the radiation they emit in the process of decaying through the various isotopes they form before finally becoming inert will all be concentrated in that tiny area of the body, leading to a greatly increased risk of cancer-causing mutation occurring there.

The purpose of taking the stable form of iodine is to saturate the thyroid therewith, such that when the atoms from the fallout that are circulating through your system happen to decay into an isotope of iodine, the thyroid won't take them up because it's full. As those atoms are surplus to requirements, they will instead be eliminated from the body by the normal processes of excretion. This happens naturally to the other elements whose isotopes are formed during radioactive decay of stuff from such sources, as the body has no use for them; iodine is the one such element our bodies do use, so that's where preventing uptake is necessary.

Although increasing one's iodine intake cannot guarantee immunity from atoms that happen to go through the stage of becoming an isotope of iodine on their way to becoming an isotope of something else, it greatly reduces the risk by preventing most of them from being absorbed and concentrated in one area of the body. As having more iodine than necessary in your system for a little while won't do you any harm, you're better off with it than without it when something nuclear goes "Boom" and there's a chance you might be contaminated.

mudskipper
3rd August 2010, 05:43
WHABS plus
Knives
Tins of beans
Toilet rols
Change of underwear
200 fags
Case of beer
Peanuts (salted)

WZS plus

A spoon (you can't eat beans with a knife)
A bottle of vodka
String
Condoms
A goat
A set of Allan keys
A groundsheet
Prunes

SofaKingdom
3rd August 2010, 07:44
WZS plus

Condoms
A goat

Suity, do I need to call the RSPCA?

ctdctd
3rd August 2010, 07:51
None of you have mentioned a tin opener. :eyes

Or an iPhone :laugh

Moscow Mule
3rd August 2010, 08:00
I wouldn't bother stockpiling anything if I were you. You're such a bedwetter that anybody with any nowse will come round your house and nick it all off you anyway.

The other option is to keep a land rover in the garage with enough food/water/tools/tents/fuel for a couple of weeks - enough to get you out of the city and into the countryside.

A better option would be an enduro bike - you can carry less but you can get out of gridlocked streets. I know you've got kids though, so that's probably not an option.

Paddy
3rd August 2010, 08:09
things are going to go nutty in the middle east, what should I be stockpiling in my shed? Gerry cans of diesel? Freeze dried food? Long life first aid kits?

Should I be reading books on which mushrooms indigenous to our fair lands are edible? Ray Mears books?

Christmas is coming and I need to write a list. :tongue

Only one country had used nuclear weapons against another country.
The same country had threatened a first nuclear strike with weapons against the USSR .
The same country had threatened a first nuclear strike with weapons against Iraq.
The same country has threatened a first nuclear strike with weapons against Iran.

You are more likely to get radiation from drinking Evan water as the Alps were highly contaminated after Chernobyl.

The maximum amount of Diesel you can store is 20lts

Paddy’s house was next to an army base in the cold war. It would have been pointless to have a fallout shelter because any strike would have left a 500 metre deep crater!

TimberWolf
3rd August 2010, 08:11
If you've a few day's notice, how about jetting off somewhere less overpopulated. Favourite destinations on a postcard please.

TimberWolf
3rd August 2010, 08:13
The maximum amount of Diesel you can store is 20lts

Is there a maximum on chip (or other edible) fat?

doodab
3rd August 2010, 08:24
To survive even a small nuclear war you would, amongst other things, need to stockpile enough food for 10 years.

http://www.atmos-chem-phys-discuss.net/6/11745/2006/acpd-6-11745-2006-print.pdf

Personally I don't think I could take 10 years of spam, and I can't be arsed to create a hermetically sealed self sustaining underground bunker large enough to accommodate a pig farm and sausage factory, so 1 gun and 1 bullet will do for me.

Moscow Mule
3rd August 2010, 08:30
To survive even a small nuclear war you would, amongst other things, need to stockpile enough food for 10 years.

Personally I don't think I could take 10 years of spam, and I can't be arsed to create a hermetically sealed self sustaining underground bunker large enough to accommodate a pig farm and sausage factory, so 1 gun and 1 bullet will do for me.

Alternatively, you could live near any major population centre or army base and get vaporised with everybody else.

TimberWolf
3rd August 2010, 08:40

2 tins of beans/day * 365 days * 10 years = a cube of tins measuring 20 * 20 * 20 + a few tins of spam etc on top. Doable.

Moscow Mule
3rd August 2010, 08:42
Doable.

As long as you're happy to protect your stash for those 10 years.

doodab
3rd August 2010, 08:43
Alternatively, you could live near any major population centre or army base and get vaporised with everybody else.

Major population centres and army bases in western Europe are unlikely to be targets in a regional conflict between India & Pakistan. However such a conflict would still result in crops failing globally, requiring one to choose between death and 10 years of spam munching.

I suppose you could break it up with a bit of tinned fish, and one could of course farm salmon, prawns, lobsters and keep chicken and ducks, and possibly sheep and pigs, although I suspect the smell would get unbearable fairly quickly without some sort of high tech air cleaning system.

The other problem would be sunlight. You would need something like this (http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_sep2005/Manmade_Japan_Beach.htm) as part of your bunker complex.

doodab
3rd August 2010, 08:47
2 tins of beans/day * 365 days * 10 years = a cube of tins measuring 20 * 20 * 20 + a few tins of spam etc on top. Doable.

You have forgotten bread. You can't make beans on toast without bread. I think you might need some vitamin pills as well, I'm not convinced 10 years of beans constitutes a balanced diet.

You would need to take shelf life into account as well:

Shelf Life of Food (http://www.preparednessresource.com/shelf_life.html)

suityou01
3rd August 2010, 08:49
Major population centres and army bases in western Europe are unlikely to be targets in a regional conflict between India & Pakistan. However such a conflict would still result in crops failing globally

But why? A localised conflict is just that, Shirley? Or are you saying the weather patterns will be disrupted globally in a massive nuclear winter that lasts for more than 12 months? :confused:

TimberWolf
3rd August 2010, 08:52
You have forgotten bread. You can't make beans on toast without bread. I think you might need some vitamin pills as well, I'm not convinced 10 years of beans constitutes a balanced diet.

You would need to take shelf life into account as well:

Shelf Life of Food (http://www.preparednessresource.com/shelf_life.html)

I hadf older cans than that in the cupboard older before now. I wonder whether ordinarily inedible foods, such as common grass, might provide vitamins (and fibre). Yeah, you'd want fats, salt, vitamin tables, Geiger counter, etc, too.

SupremeSpod
3rd August 2010, 08:56
F**k it, you've got to die of something.

suityou01
3rd August 2010, 08:57
F**k it, you've got to die of something.

Drug induced sex heart attack is preferable. :D

SupremeSpod
3rd August 2010, 08:59
Drug induced sex heart attack is preferable. :D

Why? It's not as if you're going to remember it and a heart-attack can be quite painful.

Quietly in your sleep would be more preferable.

suityou01
3rd August 2010, 09:01
Why? It's not as if you're going to remember it and a heart-attack can be quite painful.

Not screaming in terror like your passengers ;)

TimberWolf
3rd August 2010, 09:37
Working on another one of those at the moment.

Is this a sideline you've got? Don't you teach or something?

Will it do Alpha, Beta and Gamma?

d000hg
3rd August 2010, 09:45
Those atoms will then decay further into isotopes of elements such as uranium (which is probably what it started as)I don't think nuclear decay can create something further down the periodic table, and uranium is the start point so everything is down from there.

Nit-picking, the principle is sound.

MaryPoppins
3rd August 2010, 13:31
1 gun and 1 bullet will do for me.

+1

Paddy
3rd August 2010, 13:53

That is something nurses say to keep families happy. I don’t think that is possible unless you are knocked out by drugs. At some point in the dying process you will need to take your last breath; that action will wake you up because the reflex action by your body will be so intense and painful.

suityou01
3rd August 2010, 14:01

That is something nurses say to keep families happy. I don’t think that is possible unless you are knocked out by drugs. At some point in the dying process you will need to take your last breath; that action will wake you up because the reflex action by your body will be so intense and painful.

Ah yes but the endorphin rush makes up for it ya miserable git :rolleyes:

NickFitz
3rd August 2010, 14:28
I don't think nuclear decay can create something further down the periodic table, and uranium is the start point so everything is down from there.

Nit-picking, the principle is sound.

Yep, my mistake :o

Iodine-135 is an isotope that arises as a fission product of Uranium-235; the decay chain from there is Xenon-135, Caesium-135, and finally Barium-135 which is stable.

DaveB
3rd August 2010, 14:40

Not true. You will simply take fewer and fewer breaths untill you finally take the one that turns out to be your last. I know, I've watched it happen. :frown

Paddy
3rd August 2010, 14:58
[QUOTE=Paddy;1177350]

Not true. You will simply take fewer and fewer breaths untill you finally take the one that turns out to be your last. I know, I've watched it happen. :frown

Different to my experience then. :frown

SupremeSpod
3rd August 2010, 15:03

So, you've died have you?

I'll start calling you Lazarus!

suityou01
3rd August 2010, 15:14
But back on topic (kinda) we may not get the chance to breath our last. We could all be vaporised. :suicide:

original PM
3rd August 2010, 16:08
obviously being pedantic you will always get a chance to breath your last

it will be the one you take just before you get vaporised

suityou01
3rd August 2010, 16:23
obviously being pedantic you will always get a chance to breath your last

it will be the one you take just before you get vaporised

:laugh

fair point, well presented ;)

TimberWolf
3rd August 2010, 16:28
You need not be conscious or even alive when you take your last breath though.