• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Real problem needing real help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real problem needing real help

Guys
    I was granted a contract in Brussels by a large bank (we all know who) anyway during the interview it was agreed I would be relocating and that they would be flexible about times etc. It was on a daily rate. And that suited me, my family all agreed and all the plans were/are in place, I started on the 7th July.
    Due to various issues and regulations in Belgium you need to attend appointments etc. With your local Commune, Tax Office, Bank, Rental agencies etc. In fact everyone and they take a lot of time. I did all these things.
    Once I had the apartment (unfurnished) which is on a contract for 1 year with an extension possible (so was the working contract), then a few more regulatory issues appeared, which also required me to spend more time at the apartment as we needed the builders etc, no one knew about this or could have anticipated it.
    Also my daughter got ill during the second week and I had to return to the UK for a couple of days, and yes she was in hospital (3 months old).

Now yesterday 3/08 I was told (at 8pm in the evening) that the contract was being terminated with immediate effect because I did not spend enough time in the office.

I am devistated, I have spent 000's to invest in mine and my families future to organise this relocation and then they let me go without a days notice, we have terminated the rental on our home in the UK, my girlfriend and baby were due to move in about 2 weeks and we borrowed money in order to do this does anyone have any advice?

I am in a desperate state about this.

What was the notice period in your contract? Have the honoured that or not? I guess you not being in the office could be deemed a breach of contract so didn't need notice.

I would guess most of your story isn't relevant to your question and the only thing that is applicable is the amount of time you were out of the office and the termination.

Do you have any evidence of communications with the bank about taking the days. Was this approved by your line manager? I can't, to be honest, see what you can do about it though. It is not that you can sue them for unfair dismissal or anything. The only thing I can think you can do is present the evidence that you were allowed to have this time off and your client manager was ok with it and ask that they reconsider and it is quicker you coming back than getting someone new. The hiring people may give you a bit of leniency if they find your time was reuqested and approved the correct way.

Unfortuantely you can't force them to do anything really, even if they are in breach of contract. Your gone, end of story. The only thing you could do in breach of contract is ask for/sue them for losses due to breach... if you can prove it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishJohn View Post
      Guys
      I was granted a contract in Brussels by a large bank (we all know who) anyway during the interview it was agreed I would be relocating and that they would be flexible about times etc. It was on a daily rate. And that suited me, my family all agreed and all the plans were/are in place, I started on the 7th July.
      Due to various issues and regulations in Belgium you need to attend appointments etc. With your local Commune, Tax Office, Bank, Rental agencies etc. In fact everyone and they take a lot of time. I did all these things.
      Once I had the apartment (unfurnished) which is on a contract for 1 year with an extension possible (so was the working contract), then a few more regulatory issues appeared, which also required me to spend more time at the apartment as we needed the builders etc, no one knew about this or could have anticipated it.
      Also my daughter got ill during the second week and I had to return to the UK for a couple of days, and yes she was in hospital (3 months old).

Now yesterday 3/08 I was told (at 8pm in the evening) that the contract was being terminated with immediate effect because I did not spend enough time in the office.

I am devistated, I have spent 000's to invest in mine and my families future to organise this relocation and then they let me go without a days notice, we have terminated the rental on our home in the UK, my girlfriend and baby were due to move in about 2 weeks and we borrowed money in order to do this does anyone have any advice?

I am in a desperate state about this.
      Eeeeeee. Reading with gritted teeth here.

This is a painful situation to find yourself in.

I maybe wrong, but you don't sound like you have been in the contracting game for that long. The relocation process you describe is much more akin with being in a 'perm' role. That level of flexibility and understanding of relocation is fully understood and accepted by both parties.

From a contracting perspective though. The client can understand that there is some upheavel, but companies on the whole do not wait for the 'right candidate' they wait for the right skillset. Therefore that level of flexibility is not really required, as it's not really about the person.

To place yourself & family in a situation of a relocation based on a contract is extremely risky, as contracting is not as guaranteed as perm rights. Your focus should have been on the role and NOT ON THE RELOCATION. I know that sounds tough, but they are hiring you as a skill, not as a person.

I have great sympathy for your situation, but it sounds like you have got off to a bad start with the your client and you may have focussed (correctly for yourself & family) but incorrectly from the clients perspective.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

A sad tale, but I agree with MF. It seems to me that the OP was going into this with something of a permie mindset. I wouldn't ever consider uprooting my family for a contract than can (and has been) be terminated at virtually zero notice. Sad but I do not think the OP has any redress and must move on to the next gig ASAP.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Are there any other potential clients in the area that require your skillset?

How can we(you) make the best of it now?

Dust yourself off and make the best of the situation.

Next time, commute for a couple of months until you/the client are happy, then do the move.

Good luck for the future.

Comment

I learned a valuable lesson last year while contracting down in Bristol (320 miles from home) Got a 6 month gig so signed a 6 month lease on a £500 a month flat near the airport (cheaper to fly home) with £500 deposit. I was then given a months notice 21 days into the job cos they found a cheaper permie!

Fortunately the landlord was understanding - I let him keep the bond - £1000 for 1 months rent If he'd been a twat he could have enforced the full 6 months........never again. Now just do informal month to month room rentals or house shares.

Would never consider family relocation for a contract though.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Is it worth contacting the client for a meet. Apologise profusely for lack of attention, didn't realise what was involved in the move, got it all sorted now and ready to concentrate on the role ?
              They can only say no, but there is a chance they haven't got a replacement yet (else why did they agree to you if there were others more local)
              At least you get to tell them to GF themselves on the way out...

Comment

agree with lukemg

try and salvage the situation, by apoligising etc ...

and re-iterating your situation, hopefully they will have a heart.

contracts can get terminated at very short notice for lots of different reasons (hired perm , project cancelled , budget pulled ect )

perms see us as earning loads of money , and are only too happy to get shot of if it suits them. sadly getting a 6 month contract doesnt necessarily mean you'll be in a contract for 6 months.
                Green Box - Freelance Web Design and Development in London

Comment

Was your contract one of employment?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                  X