• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone taking part in the Cyber Security Challenge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone taking part in the Cyber Security Challenge?

Sounds quite fun, and perhaps my Intel disassembler may come in handy if I can dig it out. So I thought I'd join.

Today I received the starter pack, which includes a questionnaire. One of the questions is "How did you hear about this?", which I've forgotten. Not off to a very good start

Anyone else thinking of taking part? NickFitz? AtW?

The home page is here.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    One of the questions is "How did you hear about this?", which I've forgotten. Not off to a very good start
    Tell them somebody stole your identity and entered you without your knowledge.

Comment

For the "treasure hunt" challenge, it might be worth practising with Google's Gruyere: "... a small yet full-featured microblogging application designed to contain lots of security bugs. The vulnerabilities covered by the lab include cross-site scripting (XSS), cross-site request forgery (XSRF) and cross-site script inclusion (XSSI), as well as client-state manipulation, path traversal and AJAX and configuration vulnerabilities. It also shows how simple bugs can lead to information disclosure, denial-of-service and remote code execution."

Comment

The only time I ever discovered a major vulnerability was in a mini OS called Primos, used by Prime Computer Inc, where I worked for a few years until the early 90s.

Its 32-bit virtual addressing was very much like Intel's today (not surprising, as I believe many hardware Primates went on to Intel around the time when the 286 and 386 were being developed).

To cut a long story short, when a system call was made from user address space (a user "segment" in Primos lingo), the hardware automatically "weakened" any pointers, so that a user-level program could not provide these, in a "memory copy" call for example, to read or even write areas in the core address space occupied by the OS itself or shared libraries etc.

However, among the huge set of system calls there were a few recently added ones that required pointers to structures which themselves contained pointers, and it seemed the developers of these were hazy about the extent to which this so-called "ring weakening" worked. The answer was that as it wasn't magic, it wasn't automatically applied to the pointers within the structures, and I found about half a dozen calls which by carefully setting the values of pointers in the input structure I could grab control of the whole system.

The odd thing was, when I emailed the head of the OS group, most of the holes I had clearly listed were filled; but one or two were left! I never followed up on this, because it seemed fairly obvious they had been left deliberately, for who knows what nefarious purposes.

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if a few Windows API (AKA Win32) system calls had the same vulnerability today. If so, then all you need is a symbol table and a reasonable understanding of the Kernel and you're in business.
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 1 September 2010, 20:50.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Tell them somebody stole your identity and entered you without your knowledge.
          Just registered you Nick. This should be good fun as I know jack tulip about jack tulip.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I might be remotely interested if Churchill is taking part in it ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I might be remotely interested if Churchill is taking part in it ...
              Atw!

What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
              X