• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overlanding around the world, envious yes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overlanding around the world, envious yes

Last night at the cheapo hotel up here in the nordics there was an Australian Toyota Landscruiser in the carpark (ozy number plates) dulled up to the nines, two spare tyres on the back, winch on the front lots of aerials

on the side it said they're doing a journey from Oz to Holland, overland via China and all the countries in between

I'd love to do such a trip one day - anyone else with such dreams ?

Mid term goals for my overlanding are to drive to Istanbul and to drive via Marseille over to Morroco/Tunisia and tour around a bit

There's a chap from my nice coat that jacket neck of the woods who in the 60's with a friend drove from nice coat that jacket to India and back in a bedford van - it took him nine months - he has said that when he did it everyone told him he was a fool and should focus on his work and 'getting ahead' well, history shows, he came back and built a very successful business and became a multi millionaire - funny old world

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Last night at the cheapo hotel up here in the nordics there was an Australian Toyota Landscruiser in the carpark (ozy number plates) dulled up to the nines, two spare tyres on the back, winch on the front lots of aerials

on the side it said they're doing a journey from Oz to Holland, overland via China and all the countries in between

Mid term goals for my overlanding are to drive to Istanbul and to drive via Marseille over to Morroco/Tunisia and tour around a bit

There's a chap from my nice coat that jacket neck of the woods who in the 60's with a friend drove from nice coat that jacket to India and back in a bedford van

Milan.
    Why not do Spain and go via Cadiz?

Comment

Met a guy in Puno (Titicaca), Peru, who'd travelled from Canada right down to the Southern end of Argentina on his motorbike, all on his tod. He was on his way back up when we met him.

Seemed a nice chap.

Comment

Been thinking about doing it by train and boat heading east.

Inbetween Europe and India though...

Comment

I went from Beijing around the pacific rim to Chile overland wherever possible back in 2002/3, best thing I ever did..

China, Hongkong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Thailand again, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia (islands of sumatra, java, bali, lombok, flores, timor), Australia (Darwin-Cairns-Sydney), New Zealand, Chile

I missed out on Easter Island due to severe lack of money and couldn't complete the trip of Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Brazil for the same reason, one day maybe

another trip I'd love to do is the Trans-Mongolian express (london-paris-moscow-beijing) but again, one day maybe
          Last edited by chef; 2 September 2010, 11:37.
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Hi Team,

thanks for the feedback.

Seems I'm not the only one with such dreams.

Supremo I shall have a look at the map regarding Spain and Cadiz.

The goal now is to realise the mid term dreams within the next 2 or 3 years.

Milan.

Comment

If you have kids, do it before they reach secondary school age or wait till they leave home.

Pondlife, there are some great bikers out there. I met these two first in Pakistan and then several years later in Chile.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                Yes. I left the UK in Jan 2010. Plan was/is simple ride with some mates to Gambia to help raise funds to build a road (we'd raised £40k between us). Then carry on south to S Africa for the world cup. Come back up Africa through Sudan to Saudi then turn right through the 'stans (Uzbekistan etc) to Mongolia then down into India and head out towards Indonesia etc. Do a lap of Oz and NZ fly to Alaska and do N America for a year then head south and do S America for as long as time permits.

Total time out the UK 4 or 5 years. So set off in Jan. Bike packed and ready to rock. Yes it was flipping cold. France it was -10C.

Now you might be asking why I am posting this at close to midnight from the Uk. Well the reason is that on the 6th day of the trip had an accident.

Shattered ankle. Spent week in hospital (spanish nurses ) spend another 6 in cast and still 8 months on can't walk upstairs normally Still could have been a lot worse

Not to fear. Got my old gig back (broken leg and all) and the good news is that I can now spend even longer travelling as I've had to live with the parents as I sold all my stuff and moved out my rented digs which has allowed me to save most of my earnings. Hasn't helped my sanity one bit though. My advice is just do it. It was 12 months from me deciding to do it to giving it a go - it didn't work out but such is life.
                Last edited by Sockpuppet; 12 December 2013, 18:51.

Comment

Start with the trans Siberian express that fairly accessible
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Chef and ScooterScot,

very interesting feedback.

Chef, that's amazing what you have already done.

Scooter sorry to hear what happened - that's one of the reasons I prefer 4 wheels.

For now just have to keep dreaming but it's a nice dream.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X