• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hunt for Red October

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt for Red October

BBC News - New submarine in a class of its own
    It is the stealthiest sub ever built in the UK, able to sit in waters off the coast undetected, listening to mobile phone conversations or delivering the UK's special forces where needed.

The 39,000 or so acoustic panels which cover its surface mask its sonar signature, meaning it can sneak up on enemy warships and submarines alike, or simply lurk unseen and unheard at depth
    Very cool, however I wouldn't want to be on a closed system with this on board:
    Box after box of chocolates, rice, and the ingredients for curries and other meals are being hauled on board by crane for the crew of 98, to keep them going through their long days and nights at sea.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

But technological and programme difficulties left the project running more than four years late and more than £1bn over the original budget
    ...figures- anyone want to explain why we couldn't just buy off the shelf from the yanks?

Ditto aircraft carriers
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      ...figures- anyone want to explain why we couldn't just buy off the shelf from the yanks?

Ditto aircraft carriers
      The contract has, however, ensured that the know-how for building such a complex attack submarine was not lost to UK industry, as it might well have been without that investment.
      Pretty much everything that is wrong with the UK can be traced back to the "cheap at all costs" mentality, IMO. There is a trickle down effect from doing cool stuff well.

Edit: Apparently the American Virginia class cost about $2bn each, which is about the same as he £3.9bn for 3 we are paying for these.
      Last edited by doodab; 3 September 2010, 12:19.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

When it comes to manufacturing I tend to agree. Whether buying from abroad, outsourcing or excessive reliance on foreign contractors here, the result is loss of our own capacity and skills base and a saving becomes a reduction in the whole industry.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

tactics not seen for 25 years
          So, either they've just got better at it, or they've just got worse at it.

Comment

CUK has been having to cope with it's own 'Crazy Ivan' for years.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

CUK has been having to cope with it's own 'Crazy Ivan' for years.
              Hehe - good one.

Anyway, there's very little point making subs stealthy these days when satellites can spot a moving one just by the tiny vertical displacement it causes on the ocean surface.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                They won't sell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Hehe - good one.

Anyway, there's very little point making subs stealthy these days when satellites can spot a moving one just by the tiny vertical displacement it causes on the ocean surface.
                  I think that's only if they're close to the surface. If they go deep you could sit on top and not know it was there.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you know what to listen for*, you can find any sub.

It's the first part of the equation that's hard to achieve.

* source - DERA c1994.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X