• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£340 per day contract Vs £60,000 PA permanent offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£340 per day contract Vs £60,000 PA permanent offer

One month before my last contract ended, applied for contracts, and since nothing good turned up, started responding to permie calls from the Agents.

Now got a contract offer £340 per day running for 5 months, and also got a permie offer - Senior Developer for £60,000 PA - from another company.

Which one would be the wise choice in the current market?
    Last edited by Ashwin2007; 3 September 2010, 20:37.

Originally posted by Lightship
    That would depend on what you expect to be doing in six months' time.....
    Also where you expect the market to be in that time.

All things considered, 60k is a pretty good offer, assuming 340 is your normal day rate...given the numbers benched, and the ease with which I found a developer for a role this week, I would say that perm is a good place to be if you're finding demand on contract is low - get some more training, see out the recession, then make hay I'd say, but it all depends on your personal needs!
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
      Also where you expect the market to be in that time.

All things considered, 60k is a pretty good offer, assuming 340 is your normal day rate...given the numbers benched, and the ease with which I found a developer for a role this week, I would say that perm is a good place to be if you're finding demand on contract is low - get some more training, see out the recession, then make hay I'd say, but it all depends on your personal needs!
      What's your view of the market, in general, from where you are sitting?

Are we on an upward trend, a small spike or is it still going downhill?

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
        That would depend on what you expect to be doing in six months' time.....
        I would expect to continue earning, preferably with no or short bench period.

Comment

As you need to ask - go permie
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
            As you need to ask - go permie
            Succinct and correct!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Succinct and correct!
              WHS
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Go permie,
                £340 is below the minimum day rate I'll accept these days. I'd find it very hard to land a 60K perm job. Your situation is reversed, take the permie role. Simples

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                  Go permie,
                  £340 is below the minimum day rate I'll accept these days. I'd find it very hard to land a 60K perm job. Your situation is reversed, take the permie role. Simples
                  Well if the role is IR35 friendly then take that. The tax benefits outweigh the perm role.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Go permie and milk it for all the experience and certifications you can muster.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X