• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Accountant?

I have been contracting since May 2005 and am about to start my 4th contract, 4th place of work. I have nearly always been working away from home and arranged a flatshare.

My accountant says I can't claim any travelling expenses or accomodation. In fact I have claimed virtually zero expenses at all so far. He says I can't claim for the flatshare because it is available weekends. I can't claim mileage because it is my 'normal place of work'.

I am about to start a contract in central london (I live in Cheshire) and I will be spending about £700 of my salary on living there. What can I claim legitimately, and, if it is a grey area, what is the worst that could happen retrospectively?

What can I claim legitimately
    All expenses legitimately incurred directly in connection with your work - that includes fares, food and accomodation. At worst, a proportion of an expense that you could use for non-work purposes (such as Saturday and Sunday rent) could be omitted from the claim, or declared as a BIK, but that is being a little picky.

what is the worst that could happen
    You don't sack your accountant and get one that understand taxation...

retrospectively
    If you have the receipts or other proof of payment, anything from within your current financial year without problems.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do you get a receipt for the flatshare? I would have thought a receipt might attract Hector's attention, therefore if I had a spare room to rent I'd want it done on the QT, not going through company books.
      If you don't get a receipt I don't think you'll get away with claiming it back.
      I always go for B&B or hotels, for this reason.
      Finally, get yourself a proper contractor accountant.

Cue Darren:
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
        Cue Darren
        he might be busy applying for a new job. Apparently there is a mangment position that has just become available in Newcastle.
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Evidence

Do you get a receipt for the flatshare? I would have thought a receipt might attract Hector's attention, therefore if I had a spare room to rent I'd want it done on the QT, not going through company books.
          You don't always need a receipt. The Revenue will (and should) accept other forms of proof like cheque stubs

Comment

I always go for B&B or hotels, for this reason.
            Finally, get yourself a proper contractor accountant.

Cue Darren:

So the idea is the OP can't claim a perfectltly legitimate business expense becasue the guy he's paying the rent to doesn't want to declare it on his annual return and pay tax on it. Which is evasion, pure and simple.

Isn't life grand...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Needs to meet HMRC dual purpose rules. These states that the property concerned must just be let for the working week and NOT for non working days (i.e. weekends). If the rental receipt clearly states it is just for the days you have worked then it will be allowable.
              Note: Accommodation costs cannot be claimed where other family members are present

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                he might be busy applying for a new job. Apparently there is a mangment position that has just become available in Newcastle.

Is this why I can't access his website ???

Comment

Not so

Originally posted by freshblue
                  Needs to meet HMRC dual purpose rules. These states that the property concerned must just be let for the working week and NOT for non working days (i.e. weekends). If the rental receipt clearly states it is just for the days you have worked then it will be allowable.
                  Note: Accommodation costs cannot be claimed where other family members are present
                  The Revenue Manuals state that you can claim for weekends even if you aren't working.

As for family, if you rent a flat why aren't you allowed to stay there with your wife? As managing director of your own company you could of course take a suite of rooms at the Ritz and the taxman wouldn't and couldn't object.

Comment

As for family, if you rent a flat why aren't you allowed to stay there with your wife?
                    Because it would fail the exclusivity test perhaps. Be a bummer of a hector trying that on though.

FWIW (and yes it has got through an inspection) I paid rent from company, council tax etc (and latterly mortgage interest when I personally bought an additional property which I used during the week). Nominated 10% as a BIK (sometime the family came up w/e if I didn't go home). Perfectly happy taxman.

Comment

Working...
                    X