• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A challenge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A challenge

Physicists crack the 'water-enhanced Brazil nut effect' (Blog) - physicsworld.com

Explain the anomalous curry paste effect.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    They have got it wrong.

The phenomenon has been known for many years and is solved with mathematics. The small objects need less movement to fall towards the bottom. Large objects need several small objects to move aside in order to sink therefore, large objects will always move towards the top.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I've always thought small objects fill the voids more easily than large objects, I never really applied science as it just seems like common sense to me.

I've never noticed oil on my Pataks jar? Maybe these scientists are too weedy to put the lid back properly?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

The lid is curry-paste-oil gas-permeable and the saturated curry-paste-oil atmosphere condenses when it reaches the outside air? A slow fractional curry-paste-oil distillation process.

I've observed the same effect on jars of jam and cans of corned beef. Sadly however the two effects are explained by sloppy hygiene and rust respectively.

Comment

Working...
        X