• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did you have a warchest before starting your first contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you have a warchest before starting your first contract?

I often read the advice that you need a fair bit of money stashed before you even consider going contracting, and I'd agree it's sensible advice however when I think back to when I started my first contract I recall I had very little money to my name and if I'd waited until I had 6 months worth stashed I'd still be permie.

I suspect quite a few people were in the same boat when they started, and the main reason they have warchests now is because they've been contracting for several years, not because they waited until they were 100% secure before making the leap.

So, a poll.
    Fook all
    38.71%
    Enough to keep me going till my first invoice was paid
    38.71%
    More than that but not enough to retire on
    22.58%
    I had to ask AndyW to sub me
    0.00%
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I often read the advice that you need a fair bit of money stashed before you even consider going contracting, and I'd agree it's sensible advice however when I think back to when I started my first contract I recall I had very little money to my name and if I'd waited until I had 6 months worth stashed I'd still be permie.

I suspect quite a few people were in the same boat when they started, and the main reason they have warchests now is because they've been contracting for several years, not because they waited until they were 100% secure before making the leap.

So, a poll.
    Didn't have a pot to **** in. Walked out of a permie gig I was being treated like tulipe in and said fook this I'm going contracting.

My father was an IT contractor for 20 years so I knew quite a bit about it from a getting started pov.
    I have since learnt a whole heap more and when people tell me they are thinking about going contracting as if it's the easy choice I do point and laugh.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I had no cash reserve at all, but then again I'd never had a job before either. It wasn't a matter of giving anything up to "take the plunge".

(I really dislike the term "warchest". I'm not Genghis Khan.)

Comment

I took VR and had a month off. I just couldn't face going back to permie land so started contracting. I had my redundancy pot that would have lasted me half a year or so if need be so very low risk start for me. It did take me 2 months to find a role as I hadn't read up on tailoring CV's and dealing with agents and so on though.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had pretty low paid permie job but I was being dicked about so I applied for a couple of things on jobserve. TBH I had no idea about contracting at that point, I didn't even realise I had applied for a contract as such.

I had to sit down when the agent phoned me after the interview and told me the "slightly lower due to lack of experience" rate I would be getting
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Bit hard to say for me. I was doing freelance work alongside a full-time job for about a year (earning more in the evenings as a freelancer than the whole day as a permie). By the time I became full-time freelancer I suppose I had a few grand set aside,
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I took my first contract because I wanted a warchest!!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Had a bit of a warchest, but not intentionally (had sold a house and made a nice profit on it). Was Taking a year out and when it came to looking for work fell into contracting by accident.

Haven't looked back since..........
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Applied for a credit card and handed my notice in. Only way to go!
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Yep, had about 3 months permie salary in the bank. Resigned just as a project came to an end (was working for an insultancy) so was able to leave quickly, walked into a contract the next week that I'd already been offered. Unfortunately the day after I resigned the car's turbo blew up and cost 1500 euros to replace. Still, got through to first invoice being paid.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X