• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another legal question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another legal question

I made a thread a few weeks ago about a client of mine whom I left as they were preventing me for doing certain jobs even though I was assigned them.

I own the copyright to the code I used. this was backed up by asking a question to a legal representative as well as here and also the BCS backs me up.

I blocked FTP access to the server for security measures and then over the past few weeks found out that they got someone else in to redevelop the code/website again (the stuff I was doing) and is now being hosted elsewhere.

interesting, the MD also insulted me before I left them because of her attitude and the things she said and completely misunderstood and misjudged something - thats why I left.

I then raised an invoice for transferring ownership. just got an email from her saying she isn't going to pay and said that I apperently commited a crime under the computer misuse act because I blocked access to the FTP *rolls eyes*

seriously? is this misuse? I don't think so at all. she didnt even request for the access to be enabled when she needed access to it at all..... so she was not co-operating at all!
    if she requested it, then it would have been allowed access but at the same time, she did overreact on something and or misunderstood something to cause her to insult/offend me (sending an outlook meeting request) - but also, I own the copyright of the code.

so, what should I do and what can be done here?
    Last edited by firehawk; 11 October 2010, 12:21.

er.....

sheesh. I always work on the principle that the customer is always right. even when they are wrong.

Any work I do belongs to them. I have done stuff over the years that could have made me a bit of money. but it belongs to them.

this isnt legal imo, its sort of professional attitude

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

agreed, it is more of a professional attitude here. however, if someone becomes rude/insulting etc... then you can play your cards the way you see fit within your rights, in this case I own the copyright of the code by default (it was not stated in any contract that any work I do, that the client owns!)

furthermore, I also have a security audit document explaining how things will operate, which backs up my actions and somethin they also agreed upon.

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
        agreed, it is more of a professional attitude here. however, if someone becomes rude/insulting etc... then you can play your cards the way you see fit within your rights, in this case I own the copyright of the code by default (it was not stated in any contract that any work I do, that the client owns!)

furthermore, I also have a security audit document explaining how things will operate, which backs up my actions and somethin they also agreed upon.
        you aint listening.
        even when they are wrong, they are right

right?

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

i understand what you mean but you arent listening to me im talking about LEGAL issues here. (and moral!)

Comment

i understand what you mean but you arent listening to me im talking about LEGAL issues here. (and moral!)
            lets try logic then.

have you ever known me to wrong about anything ??
            no

therefore I am right about this as well.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

*sigh*

anyone else?

Comment

*sigh*

anyone else?
                You want to hear from us you are right. I'm sorry but it doesn't matter.
                Your contract is over, move on.

When it gets to rude and insulting you have lost control, there is no going back. See what lesson you can learn, how can you prevent it going bad next time.

Time to read "The 48 laws of Power".
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Thanks. I understand but I think perhaps people are already misconcepting here

i have "moved on" and know what went wrong. her attitude and overreactness. i did nothing at all.

im trying to "defend" myself from such threats - thats all I am asking for here and to see if i have the "law" somewhat to back me up, which im sure it does as there was no "breach" in anything except for the copyright stuff.

at the end of the day, if money is owed to me then that should be dealt with. its as simple as that

Comment

*sigh*

anyone else?
                    I believe this was your post about the website a few weeks ago where they asked you to leave early.

I am confused to what question you are asking now? From what I remember you were insisting they pay for the work to transfer code to them.

They have sad no, and had it redeveloped and have now threatened you.

Is this just not stand off? They want nothing from you anymore(or do they?) and they aint going to pay you.

So unless you all start slugging off each other or they actually decide to go legal against you, I would just leave it.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X