• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Volunteer work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volunteer work

I've applied to be a volunteer to work on the London Olympics and, as charity doesn't come naturally, I was wondering if there's a way of putting a cost through my Ltd Co (almost as a charitable donation I suppose) equivalent to loss of revenue that would ease the tax burden for that year.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Thoughts?
    Don't do charity work as you are too tight to enter in to the spirit of things... How's that?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 October 2010, 19:39.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

When did the Olympics become a charity?

I know people who work on that project and they get paid a tidy sum of money

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        When did the Olympics become a charity?

Surely there are a million charities more deserving of your time.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Don't do charity work as you are too tight to enter in to the spirit of things... How's that?
          Very fair point! I'm probably having a mid life crisis and will snap out of it by the time the Olympics come round and I actually have to turn up and do the work.

Originally posted by cheeseslice View Post
          I wish I knew someone who could get me in on the project. I kept a good eye out but I don't move in the right circles at present...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Very fair point! I'm probably having a mid life crisis and will snap out of it by the time the Olympics come round and I actually have to turn up and do the work.
            I thought it would be cool to be part of it as well although I am too far away but then I heard what positions are available and being a coatroom attendant at the 2012 Olympics didn't really sound as appealing.....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just in case anyone cares...

Found this on the HMRC interwebnet:

Secondment of Employees

As scrolling is boring, here's the blurb...

Secondment of employees
              If your business lends or temporarily transfers an employee to work for a charity (but not a CASC) you'll be able to treat the cost as a business expense in your accounts. If your business carries on paying that employee, you'll be able to set the cost against your business's taxable profits as if they were still working for you. The cost includes their wages and any business expenses.

Your business will need to carry on operating PAYE (Pay As You Earn) on their wages.

Volunteering
              The same applies if any of your employees are volunteering in work time. Your business can continue to claim tax relief for the costs of employing them such as salary and employer’s national insurance. These costs can still be treated as a business expense when calculating chargeable profits for your business.
              By my reckoning that just means the salary, PAYE, and any expenses incurred are simply charged to a different P&L account. Not quite the scam I was looking for!
              Last edited by ladymuck; 25 October 2010, 22:23.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Surely there are a million charities more deserving of your time.
                I'm with VM on this and would rather put any spare time towards charities that need the volunteers and the money rather than those that are bleeding the taxpayers money on a vanity project.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                X