• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ltd help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ltd help

just been offered a new contract but the agents wont use my umbrella company as it has an off shore element. now i am thinking of going down the route of a LTD but im not sure if im going to be better off or should i use another umberlla such as CXC?
    Last edited by rocketron; 21 October 2010, 12:48.

Just go Ltd.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

income: umbrella < ltd < offshore

hmrc investigation risk: umbrella < ltd < offshore

Comment

generally speaking

you will be better off (more money) with a ltd
        you will be better off (less paperwork) with an umbrella

what is more important to you - cash and control or time?

personally i couldn't face the idea of paying someone to do paperwork i can do myself.

Comment

Originally posted by rocketron View Post
          just been offered a new contract but the agents wont use my umbrella company as it has an off shore element. now i am thinking of going down the route of a LTD but im not sure if im going to be better off or should i use another umberlla such as CXC?
          IT would seem that the other umbrella company you mentioned assume that you will be spending £200 each day if you work through them but only £70 if you work through any other umbrella company. At least that is what I assume they mean as their website quotes £200 expenses in the calculation they use for your projected take home pay using their services but only £70 for any other umbrella company. Therefore you have to ask yourself:

Why would you spend more with them as your employer?

If you would not be spending more, why would you claim more expenses?

If you haven't incurred £200 in costs why would the umbrella company process that figure as an expense?

If you haven't incurred £200 in costs but the umbrella company still process that figure as an expense, which will reduce your tax liability, would it be likely that HMR&C would 'approve' such a practise.

If HMR&C haven't approved such a scheme who do you think will bear the brunt of their wrath should they discover that such a scheme has been operated without their approval?
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

So we are going limited after taking advice from a friend (Accountant), I have an early appointment with him in the morning i just hope I'm going to be better off than using a umbrella.

this has been a very stressfull day.....

Comment

Originally posted by rocketron View Post
              So we are going limited after taking advice from a friend (Accountant), I have an early appointment with him in the morning i just hope I'm going to be better off than using a umbrella.

this has been a very stressfull day.....
              Good luck. Don't get suckered into paying your accountant a fortune for setting up a LTD. You can use an internet broker to do it for just a few quid. Do some more research on this forum for recommendations.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Also ask him about the flat rate VAT scheme. This is extra profit you wouldn't otherwise see if you went brolly. I love free money!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Good luck. Don't get suckered into paying your accountant a fortune for setting up a LTD. You can use an internet broker to do it for just a few quid. Do some more research on this forum for recommendations.
                  the guy i have got doing the account stuff is a very good friend of mine and also a student of mine (I am a scuba instructor), so unless he wants to have his air turned off while underwater he had best look after me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stag Cozier View Post
                    Also ask him about the flat rate VAT scheme. This is extra profit you wouldn't otherwise see if you went brolly. I love free money!
                    Will do that thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X