• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

vat compliance check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vat compliance check

I have recently received a letter from hmrc saying that I need to produce the copy of vat a/c and calculations for couple of quarters as stated in their letter.I have been paying VAT without fail so just want to know if it is normal to do these checks.Also
    1.When they say copies of VAT a/c what does that mean ?
    2.I don't have copies of VAT forms I have sent them on couple of occassions but have the calculations and of late I'm filing vat online

please suggest

many thanks

It's totally normal. Last one I had was a visit where they picked out a couple of quarters from a five year period and went through them in detail. They will want to see incoming and outgoing invoices for these quarters and your spreadsheet of incoming/outgoing. Simple as that really.

If you don't supply all the required info, they will tell you what they need and give you time to produce it. If you owe a small amount (or if thery owe you), it will be sorted at your next return. If you have ****ed up to the tune of more than £2K, they will clap you in irons

I was tulipting bricks before it, but it was a piece of piss to be honest.

HTH.

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I try and keep all of my accounts/VAT in line with my bank statements.

So for expenses, I compile a monthly statement, then pay myself a cheque to the tune of it, then file the statement.

It will be that sort of thing they are interested in.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by beoptima View Post
        I have recently received a letter from hmrc saying that I need to produce the copy of vat a/c and calculations for couple of quarters as stated in their letter.I have been paying VAT without fail so just want to know if it is normal to do these checks.Also
        1.When they say copies of VAT a/c what does that mean ?
        2.I don't have copies of VAT forms I have sent them on couple of occassions but have the calculations and of late I'm filing vat online

please suggest

many thanks
        Their algorithm has probably flagged you up as a person of interest - i.e. VAT reg date and VAT received so far doesn't tally

Having been through one of these interviews be prepared for some interesting use of VAT technical rules to ensure the exercise results in you paying something to make it worth their while

FYI even my Accountant at the time expressed surprise at their interpretation around certain rules (one of the premium big accountancy firms)

After immediately paying the trifling sum – IIRC it was £300 ish,- they then slapped a penalty charge onto the VAT account (reminded me a bit of the guy who throws his sword onto the payment scales – can’t be arsed googling for the name ) – I was by this time in email contact with the officer and suggested that was a tad harsh to which he immediately backed down and removed the penalty. Being in need of so much money these days, that approach may not now work

So..lube up, bend over and get ready!!
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

thanks

Thanks for all your responses
          whenever I sent the vat form filled , I didn't keep a copy of those forms but I have calculations and vat amounts etc..
          will it be fine if I just send those details on a sheet of paper along with calculations

thanks

Comment

They will need to see that the amount you have filed for VAT can be proved to be correct. With regard to VAT A/C they probably mean the nominal ledger account that records the VAT element of your sales, purchase and cash book ledgers. If you can you should produce a totalled list of transactions which will show everything you have sold (or invoiced for) with its VAT element and a totalled list of everything you have bought with its VAT element. The difference between the VAT elements of your sales and purchases should equal the VAT that you have paid. If you have an accountant they should be able to put together the paperwork that you need; if not, you just need to check that you have complete records e.g. your invoice numbers run concurently.
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Does this still happen if (like me) you are on the FRS?
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Does this still happen if (like me) you are on the FRS?
                Yep.

I know someone who was looked at who was on the FRS.

Found out that he hadn't been paying VAT properly.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Yep.

I know someone who was looked at who was on the FRS.

Found out that he hadn't been paying VAT properly.
                  Thanks, I'm squeaky clean in that respect, well, AFAIK anyway.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Ermm....

Be very careful what you say. I know of three people recently whose "innocent" VAT inspection has turned into an IR35 investigation, so this is not a trivial problem. If you're in the PCG (and if not, why not ) call them and get their advice. Whatever you do, do not answer anything about contracts or working conditions, get all such questions in writing.

It may sound paranoid, but you really don't want the hassle of a three year investigation that will go nowhere.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X