PDA

View Full Version : Tried Oysters for the first time this weekend

Durbs
25th October 2010, 08:57
And won't be trying them again! Bleeeurgh, just as I imagined them, phlegm with gritty bits in.

RichardCranium
25th October 2010, 09:25
Do you know why they are an aphrodisiac?

Durbs
25th October 2010, 09:38

I hate to imagine why, go on then.

(They certainly didn't get me frisky though, although the pleasant bottle of red i consumed did).

Mich the Tester
25th October 2010, 09:40
I hate to imagine why, go on then.

(They certainly didn't get me frisky though, although the pleasant bottle of red i consumed did).

You drank red wine with oysters?

Durbs
25th October 2010, 09:48
You drank red wine with oysters?

Is that a no-no? It took the taste away ok.

Mich the Tester
25th October 2010, 09:51
Is that a no-no? It took the taste away ok.
Not a good idea at all. Red wine and seafood don't mix.

Try Muscadet, or even better; chilled sake. Drip a little tabasco or wasabe sauce on the oysters, plus a squeeze of lemon, some black pepper and perhaps a little japanese seaweed.

It's still an acquired taste though, but once you acquire the taste, you don't lose it. A bit like booze.

SupremeSpod
25th October 2010, 09:53
Not a good idea at all. Red wine and seafood don't mix.

Try Muscadet, or even better; chilled sake. Drip a little tabasco or wasabe sauce on the oysters, plus a squeeze of lemon, some black pepper and perhaps a little japanese seaweed.

It's still an acquired taste though, but once you acquire the taste, you don't lose it. A bit like booze.

Once you have a bad oyster your stomach will remember for years.

minestrone
25th October 2010, 10:09
Once you have a bad oyster your stomach will remember for years.

My flat mates a few years ago had a dozen each on valentines night, 2 days later and she could not get up off the floor in the puddle of her own vomit. He was not much better.

Used to take the boat up to Oban and have the oysters on ice delivered to the boat, bottle of good champagne, tourists looking down on you from the harbour like permies look on contractors.

Best I have ever had was Loch Fyne.

Red wine and oysters!!!

Mich the Tester
25th October 2010, 10:12
Used to take the boat up to Oban and have the oysters on ice delivered to the boat, bottle of good champagne, tourists looking down on you from the harbour like permies look on contractors.

Best I have ever had was Loch Fyne.
!
Yep, that's the best way; as fresh as they can be. Zeeland oysters are excellent too.

norrahe
25th October 2010, 10:27
My dad used to be given bucket loads of them by local fisherman,he'd come home from work and it would be oysters for tea.

Only bad oysters and I had and messed me up for days were at restaurants.

After that I stuck to getting them directly from source.

d000hg
25th October 2010, 10:30
They weren't as bad as I expected when I tried, there was at least some texture rather than just slime. I'd say they fall into the category of "an experience" rather than "delicious"... kind of like how you can appreciate music/art without liking it.

RichardCranium
25th October 2010, 10:30
Do you know why they are an aphrodisiac?Because once you've watched someone eating them, you know they'll eat anything.

minestrone
25th October 2010, 10:39
My dad used to be given bucket loads of them by local fisherman,he'd come home from work and it would be oysters for tea.

Only bad oysters and I had and messed me up for days were at restaurants.

After that I stuck to getting them directly from source.

Oysters are at their best within a few hours from the sea. Would not even consider eating them in a restaurant where they have been 2 days from source.

fullyautomatix
25th October 2010, 10:39
I had the complete opposite experience. Had them recently at Whitstable harbour and they were superb!

Durbs
25th October 2010, 10:46
I had the complete opposite experience. Had them recently at Whitstable harbour and they were superb!

Suppose they are a Marmite type of thing. Its like Olives, i've always hated them and after telling some friends this they produced a plate of so-and-so Olives that were supposedly the best i'd ever eat and told me if i didn't like Olives, these would certainly change my mind.

My reacton of "jesus, that is fcking foul!" after trying one was not the reaction they were after (Olives disappear back into kitchen with host making a humph noise).

Lockhouse
25th October 2010, 10:52
I love oysters. You have to eat them at source or at restaurants where they have a high throughput. Tabasco, horseradish or lemon juice when raw. Muscadet or champagne alongside. I've also had cooked oysters au gratin and they were very nice too.

kandr
25th October 2010, 11:01
If you look at an oyster shell from the front it looks like a vagina. Hence the horn effect...I think.

d000hg
25th October 2010, 11:03
If you look at an oyster shell from the front it looks like a vagina. Hence the horn effect...I think.
I think it's a placebo type effect. We're told they have the effect, therefore if you eat them with someone the effect is implied.

kandr
25th October 2010, 11:04
I think it's a placebo type effect. We're told they have the effect, therefore if you eat them with someone the effect is implied.

Are they expensive? Maybe its implied that as you bought them for dinner you have entered into a contract of guaranteed sex, something no implicit with a Big Mac.

EternalOptimist
25th October 2010, 11:05

yeah , but how do you explain rabbits then ? Rabbits dont eat oysters, do they ?

:rolleyes:

minestrone
25th October 2010, 11:13
If you want an aphrodisiac take a gram of ching. The Rogano oyster bar in Glasgow used to be famous for oysters and ching, half an hour in there and yer trouser tent must have been enough for two six foot marines to sleep in.

TimberWolf
25th October 2010, 11:17

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDvMe-MAG78qEXwEhP6lWBN5lHzvBqb62t5IdfvLY3gsF4JBY&t=1&usg=__l2dYmbBA_Vw87WWuz4BbJiPUjI0=

NSFW

Mich the Tester
25th October 2010, 11:22
Are they expensive? Maybe its implied that as you bought them for dinner you have entered into a contract of guaranteed sex, something no implicit with a Big Mac.

They aren't really expensive at all in oyster growing areas, but tend to be eaten in expensive restaurants; it's usually the best restaurants that can be trusted to only sell really fresh oysters, sourcing them from a reputable merchant or even directly from the fisherman. A good chef will inspect each oyster before putting it on ice for you to eat; he'll be looking for signs of shrivelling or an eggy smell (even very slight signs); sure signs it's a bad oyster. Obviously the attention to detail, the very choosy sourcing, the risk of having to chuck out a few oysters and the skills involved in checking them cost money, and that's what you're paying for.

Mich the Tester
25th October 2010, 11:23
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDvMe-MAG78qEXwEhP6lWBN5lHzvBqb62t5IdfvLY3gsF4JBY&t=1&usg=__l2dYmbBA_Vw87WWuz4BbJiPUjI0=

NSFW
That looks like an umami oyster, or possibly a 'zeeuwse platte'.

fullyautomatix
25th October 2010, 11:24
It is a myth that Oysters are an aphrodisiac. It's part of greek mythology.

sasguru
25th October 2010, 11:30

Oop North, I've heard that a Big Mac does in fact imply just that.

Mich the Tester
25th October 2010, 11:32
Oop North, I've heard that a Big Mac does in fact imply just that.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but I think you might mean that you heard that a big mac implies guaranteed nookie; I don't think you mean you heard it oop north, because something tells me you've never actually been oop north.

If you had you'd know that Fish and Chips and a can of Vimto is the northern aphrodisiac.

d000hg
25th October 2010, 11:44

NSFWDoes putting NSFW underneath the NSFW image really help? :yay:

d000hg
25th October 2010, 11:45
Are they expensive? Maybe its implied that as you bought them for dinner you have entered into a contract of guaranteed sex, something no implicit with a Big Mac.The seafood place I first tried them in Sn Francisco had them $1 a go, for big ones. Hardly breaking the bank.

That was the restaurant I ate an oyster and got crabs.

MaryPoppins
25th October 2010, 11:46
If you had you'd know that Fish and Chips and a can of Vimto is the northern aphrodisiac.

Now you're talking.

Oysters. Bleck.

Mich the Tester
25th October 2010, 11:47
Now you're talking.

Oysters. Bleck.

Cod or haddock ma´am?

Vimto cordial or Vimto pop?

Durbs
25th October 2010, 11:49
Does putting NSFW underneath the NSFW image really help? :yay:

Aye, just seen someone walk past my desk and double-take at that pic.

Zippy
25th October 2010, 11:51
Cod or haddock ma´am?

It's got to be pop.

MaryPoppins
25th October 2010, 11:51
Cod or haddock ma´am?

Cod. I'm posh like that.

POP obviously. Don't go cheap on me on a date, it won't get results. :laugh

Mich the Tester
25th October 2010, 11:52
It's got to be pop.

Cod. I'm posh like that.

POP obviously. Don't go cheap on me on a date, it won't get results. :laugh

Wow, class birds around here. I'll get my wallet. No, actually, :igmc:

Pogle
25th October 2010, 11:54
Oysters, seafood - yuck, just underwater bugs. I don't see anyone getting all slobbery over cockroaches, but prawns are just the underwater version.
I thought the first bite is with the eye and Oysters look like something someone just coughed up.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you just swallow them without chewing ? ...... Hmm maybe that's why they purport to have aphrodisiac qualities :laugh

Pogle
25th October 2010, 11:55
Wow, class birds around here. I'll get my wallet. No, actually, :igmc:

You'd be eaten alive Mich! - and not in the good way :laugh

MaryPoppins
25th October 2010, 11:59
Oysters, seafood - yuck, just underwater bugs. I don't see anyone getting all slobbery over cockroaches, but prawns are just the underwater version.
I thought the first bite is with the eye and Oysters look like something someone just coughed up.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you just swallow them without chewing ? ...... Hmm maybe that's why they purport to have aphrodisiac qualities :laugh

I'm with you there Pogle, maybe we're just oiks. I think you and RC have hit the nail on the head.

cailin maith
25th October 2010, 12:00

Oh Jesus :puke:

But you are right... they look gross.

Lockhouse
25th October 2010, 12:27
I was in Paris last year a had a the prestige plateau de fruits de mer at Bofinger and some of the shellfish were still moving around...

Iron Condor
25th October 2010, 12:28
Catching oysters is a potential Plan B.

The guy in this youtube video an ex software dude reckon he makes 100K from his little boat. But its only pocket money for him as he sold his software company and lives on the interest of that.

The Alchemists of Wall Street, 50 minutes long, worth watching from home.

YouTube - Quants: The Alchemists of Wall Street (Marije Meerman, VPRO Backlight 2010) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2FWNWwE3I&feature=related)

DS23
25th October 2010, 12:34
oysters and guinness in the crown bar. perfect.

Durbs
25th October 2010, 12:35
I was in Paris last year a had a the prestige plateau de fruits de mer at Bofinger and some of the shellfish were still moving around...

Jesus, my worst nightmare, did you eat it?

Dont mind my steaks still moo-ing but sea snot slithering across the plate? I draw the line there.

norrahe
25th October 2010, 12:38
Oh Jesus :puke:

But you are right... they look gross.

They do look awful but taste lovely, up to you if you want to chew them or not.

Though I do a a friend who refuses to eat mussels on the basis they remind her of the female genitalia.

EternalOptimist
25th October 2010, 12:51
They do look awful but taste lovely, up to you if you want to chew them or not.

Though I do a a friend who refuses to eat mussels on the basis they remind her of the female genitalia.

Mrs EO refuses to eat those tiny prawns, for the equal and opposite reason

cailin maith
25th October 2010, 12:53
Mrs EO refuses to eat those tiny prawns, for the equal and opposite reason

:laugh :laugh

Lockhouse
25th October 2010, 12:54
Jesus, my worst nightmare, did you eat it?

Dont mind my steaks still moo-ing but sea snot slithering across the plate? I draw the line there.

Yes I ate it but didn't mention it to the missus. Can't get fresher than that.

To add additional piquancy, Dita von Teese and female friend were at the table next to us eating exactly the same.

OwlHoot
25th October 2010, 13:59

In a word, zinc.

P.S. I'm not keen on fresh oysters, but love smoked oysters.

sasguru
25th October 2010, 14:05
Fresh oysters, alternate with a nip of Tabasco and rock salt, With wholemeal bread and butter and wash down with Guinness.
Used to be served just like that at Conran's pub, the Cow, in Ladbroke Grove.
Heaven on earth.