• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surprise for Homeopaths: Feeding Deadly Nightshade to Children is a Bad Idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprise for Homeopaths: Feeding Deadly Nightshade to Children is a Bad Idea

Homepathic teething relief tablets recalled:

Hyland’s Teething Tablets are manufactured to contain a small amount of belladonna, a substance that can cause serious harm at larger doses. For such a product, it is important that the amount of belladonna be carefully controlled. FDA laboratory analysis, however, has found that Hyland’s Teething Tablets contain inconsistent amounts of belladonna. In addition, the FDA has received reports of serious adverse events in children taking this product that are consistent with belladonna toxicity. The FDA has also received reports of children who consumed more tablets than recommended, because the containers do not have child resistant caps.
    There's something seriously wrong when a homeopathic remedy actually contains some of the substance it's supposed to contain

hang on... as the active substance is less diluted, shouldn't it be less powerful?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Maybe it would be more powerful if they took a gallon of water and just stood it next to a jar of the active ingredient for a week. Less trouble.

PS Cue aTW.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Digressing a bit, according to another one of NF's recent links (and possibly a second hop from there into deeper cyberspace), there are people that drink bleach.

And there's me slooshing all my washing-up for minutes on end trying to get the last molecules of fairy liquid off my dishes. If I even use any.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          And there's me slooshing all my washing-up for minutes on end trying to get the last molecules of fairy liquid off my dishes. If I even use any.
          This has been bothering me for some years:

Homoeopathy works by dissolving the active substance in water and mixing it up thoroughly, taking a small part of that now activated water, dissolving it and so on. The final result can be taken as liquid medicine or dried with other stuff to make tablets.

When I clean my home-brew equipment after making a batch of beer, I use a chemical sanitizer. Since this sanitizer kills everything, I worry about rinsing it off thoroughly because it will kill the yeast.

On the smaller items, they can be rinsed under a running tap. The fermenting bins, however, can only be part filled with water, slooshed about, the water poured out (leaving some attached o the sides and bottom as droplets), part filled again, slooshed, poured out, etc. I do this quite a few times and every time I do it, I'm thinking about homoeopathy.

Since one heaped teaspoon (10ml) of sanitizer goes in and gets rinsed with about 5 litres of water (1:500 ratio) then since about one teaspoons (5 ml) of liquid is left after rinsing, and I put another 5 litres in to rinse it (1:1000 ratio) and repeat this, the original sanitizer gets dissolved down to about 1:500,000,000,000 which means not many atoms remain.

This is then left to dry (a few atoms of sanitizer and thousands of hard water limescale atoms then remain) and gets re-used some weeks later when 23 litres of fluid are added. The solution must then be down to about 1 part of sanitizer to 1.1x10^19 parts of water which is, in homoeopathy terms a c9 solution which is quite a lot more powerful (i.e. dissolved far more) than the usual over-the-counter homoeopathy remedy.

So why doesn't it kill the yeast in the next batch?
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

But it does.
            thats the wole blooming point.

one 'remembered' molecule of yeast from the original brew fights one 'remembered' molecule of sanitizer , and the result of this titanic struggle determines the outcome of your brew.

thats why some ale comes out like piddle, and some comes out like dettol.

If Prince Charles gets it, how come you dont ?

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

there are people that drink bleach
              Bleach is actually great for soothing mouth ulcers. I discovered that by accident after going to the swimming pool. For best results you need a bit of the secret ingredient though.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Homoeopathy works by dissolving the active substance in water and mixing it up thoroughly, taking a small part of that now activated water, dissolving it and so on. The final result can be taken as liquid medicine or dried with other stuff to make tablets.

When I clean my home-brew equipment after making a batch of beer, I use a chemical sanitizer. Since this sanitizer kills everything, I worry about rinsing it off thoroughly because it will kill the yeast.

On the smaller items, they can be rinsed under a running tap. The fermenting bins, however, can only be part filled with water, slooshed about, the water poured out (leaving some attached o the sides and bottom as droplets), part filled again, slooshed, poured out, etc. I do this quite a few times and every time I do it, I'm thinking about homoeopathy.

Since one heaped teaspoon (10ml) of sanitizer goes in and gets rinsed with about 5 litres of water (1:500 ratio) then since about one teaspoons (5 ml) of liquid is left after rinsing, and I put another 5 litres in to rinse it (1:1000 ratio) and repeat this, the original sanitizer gets dissolved down to about 1:500,000,000,000 which means not many atoms remain.

This is then left to dry (a few atoms of sanitizer and thousands of hard water limescale atoms then remain) and gets re-used some weeks later when 23 litres of fluid are added. The solution must then be down to about 1 part of sanitizer to 1.1x10^19 parts of water which is, in homoeopathy terms a c9 solution which is quite a lot more powerful (i.e. dissolved far more) than the usual over-the-counter homoeopathy remedy.

Am I to defend homoeopathy or indeed make any sense of it? But as far as washing stuff (and mixing) is concerned, it may not be such simple process; partial pressures, etc., if a similar thing exists in liquids as well as gasses. Diffusion? Or osmosis with a membrane. Also molecular/electrostatic attraction would tend to favour a surface? Anyway, I've heard chemists say that the best method of cleaning a thing is to use small amounts of water n times, rather than a large amount of water less times, i.e. wash with a small amount twice instead of with a large amount once. In fact you seem to be doing this already by using two stages of 5 litres of water rather than 1 stage of 10 litres. What's the ratio of sanitiser to water when you use n steps (instead of 2) as n approaches infinity? (Maybe you could get away with less water?)
                Last edited by TimberWolf; 26 October 2010, 20:36.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Bleach is actually great for soothing mouth ulcers. I discovered that by accident after going to the swimming pool. For best results you need a bit of the secret ingredient though.
                  Ah, urea.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    If Prince Charles gets it, how come you dont ?
                    'Cos he's married to a game mare who is glad of a bit of attention and he's worth millions, whereas I'm a lowly subject.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X