• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hate consultancy roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate consultancy roles

Am I being the only one here who started to hate all consultant-based roles?

Problem is the request for consultants is increasing and the one for contractors is decreasing.

Anybody share the same hate? At the end you have the same insecurity as a contractor, the lack of team feeling and the salary of a permie.

Even worse when lots of travel is involved.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Originally posted by Francko View Post

Problem is the request for consultants is increasing and the one for contractors is decreasing.

Anybody share the same hate? At the end you have the same insecurity as a contractor, the lack of team feeling and the salary of a permie.

I mainly do a consultant role, but normally short term. Come in get everything set-up bring the team up to speed then get out.

I like it really, I have several offers for next year. But I know my skills have a sell by date, I'm not sure how long they will last. But so far so good.

Every job has it's insecurities these days, for us it's more in your face that permies. But permies can get a false sense of security and loseing a job can really mess their lives up. for us it's just NEXT.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Are you a permie at the moment then?

I was in this situation before I started contracting. It was worse than a typical permie consultant role in that the company even stopped looking for new work for me. I was at a clientco where I was passed between several big name projects and the money just kept rolling in. Everyone else on these projects was a contractor on good rates, and I just got my permie salary pittance, whilst the consultancy rode the gravy train and some sales person who never showed his head got a nice fat sales commission for my renewals.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        Are you a permie at the moment then?

I was in this situation before I started contracting. It was worse than a typical permie consultant role in that the company even stopped looking for new work for me. I was at a clientco where I was passed between several big name projects and the money just kept rolling in. Everyone else on these projects was a contractor on good rates, and I just got my permie salary pittance, whilst the consultancy rode the gravy train and some sales person who never showed his head got a nice fat sales commission for my renewals.
        Yes I guess the main problem is being a consultant permie within a consultancy company. I guess it's justified if it's one of the top (read micrsoft,ibm, oracle, tibco, etc.) just because it looks too good on the cv but for the others there is no point.

I would not see any problem to be a contractor consultant (though nowadays it doesn't pay much more than a permie role).

At least as a contractor you don't get to work when there is absolutely no work (and believe me, having to work when there is no work at all is worse than working).

Unfortunately the crisis is what it is and we can't be that picky at the end. But I'll still try to resist as much as I can not to take another consultant-permie job.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Yes I guess the main problem is being a consultant permie within a consultancy company. I guess it's justified if it's one of the top (read micrsoft,ibm, oracle, tibco, etc.) just because it looks too good on the cv but for the others there is no point.

I would not see any problem to be a contractor consultant (though nowadays it doesn't pay much more than a permie role).

At least as a contractor you don't get to work when there is absolutely no work (and believe me, having to work when there is no work at all is worse than working).

Unfortunately the crisis is what it is and we can't be that picky at the end. But I'll still try to resist as much as I can not to take another consultant-permie job.
          I am not a consultant but a contractor, and have been assigned to a dead project, no-one taking ownership of it (at PM level), I'm just seeing out the last month and don't expect to do any more work. Ah well an invoice is an invoice.

Comment

Did anyone else here read this in a "It ain't half hot mum!" stylee?

Comment

I would not see any problem to be a contractor consultant (though nowadays it doesn't pay much more than a permie role)
              Why would you think that? Maybe it's slightly limited to SAP .net but often contractors are alongside IBM/Accidenture doing the same roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Why would you think that? Maybe it's slightly limited to SAP .net but often contractors are alongside IBM/Accidenture doing the same roles.
                Some of us a setting up stuff for Accidenture and getting them up to speed
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Did anyone else here read this in a "It ain't half hot mum!" stylee?
                  Hi Spod,

you still hold a grudge after years and years. I suspect it's time for you to grow up, isn't it?

Peace?

Comment

Hi Spod,

you still hold a grudge after years and years. I suspect it's time for you to grow up, isn't it?

Peace?
                    I was attempting to being humourous. Stop being so defensive!

Comment

Working...
                    X