• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I claim mileage (transport) if travel by public transport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I claim mileage (transport) if travel by public transport

Hi, my understanding is that if I use public transport, I can't claim mileage, but only can claim expense against actual transportation cost. Is this correct? If so I need to keep all public transport receipt ?

Thanks

Originally posted by sy8111 View Post
    Hi, my understanding is that if I use public transport, I can't claim mileage, but only can claim expense against actual transportation cost. Is this correct? If so I need to keep all public transport receipt ?

Thanks
    You need to keep all receipts(in principle) for claiming.

You could 'claim' mileage for driving at 40p per mile. Not sure how the IR could prove that you didn't drive.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      You need to keep all receipts(in principle) for claiming.

You could 'claim' mileage for driving at 40p per mile. Not sure how the IR could prove that you didn't drive.
      You need to keep your fuel VAT receipts to prove you bought enough fuel to cover the mileage you claim. There is a sum that for every x pounds spent on petrol they will assume you have done y miles. Someone posted it on here ages ago. If you get investigated they will ask you to prove you have done those miles, if you MOT cert says you have only done 5k miles since last MOT and you have claimed 10K your up the swanee, same if you can't produce the receipts.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi, my understanding is that if I use public transport, I can't claim mileage, but only can claim expense against actual transportation cost. Is this correct?
        Yes.

If so I need to keep all public transport receipt ?
        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          You could 'claim' mileage for driving at 40p per mile.
          ...and after 8 years this rate is unchanged

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            ...and after 8 years this rate is unchanged
            Indeed, that's irritated me for quite a while, I hadn't realised the 40p/25p rates were 8 years old though, how time flies.

The cost of fuel has increased significantly in that time.

Comment

Though even now 40p is quite reasonable IMO... it's more the case that 8 years ago these rates were a money tree.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Given average depreciation of a car the 40p is just adequate if you can get lowish cost insurance and have no major repair bills. 25p certainly isn't.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Well it depends doesn't it... your car is going to depreciate anyway. Should mileage cover all the costs of running a car, when it is not required to only have business use?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thanks
                    Yes you are correct. Provided that you are working at a temporary workplace, you can claim the actual cost of the public transport. Try and get a receipt where possible just in case HMRC ever need you to back up your expenses claim. If you are taking the train you could claim the cost of driving to the train station as well as car parking costs.

Comment

Working...
                    X