• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL - sell or remortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL - sell or remortgage

I have to remortgage by March 2011, or sell.

I was planning on selling due to ridiculous rates offered and high admin fees, but nothing doing so am go through process of remortgaging - got a decent rate (2year fix 4.25% with 0.5% admin fee which is amazing by current standards)

Valuation next week, but also a viewing (only a viewing mind......).

With the remortgage I'd be in a bit of profit after all costs, but need to chuck in something like £10 - £12k to bring LTV down.

If (big if) it sold close to asking price I'd break even-ish and have some cash left over (£30k ish)

any thoughts? It rents well so I'm inclined to hold, although realise value may drop in the short term.

cheers

Originally posted by xantamisch View Post

I was planning on selling due to ridiculous rates offered and high admin fees, but nothing doing so am go through process of remortgaging - got a decent rate (2year fix 4.25% with 0.5% admin fee which is amazing by current standards)

With the remortgage I'd be in a bit of profit after all costs, but need to chuck in something like £10 - £12k to bring LTV down.

If (big if) it sold close to asking price I'd break even-ish and have some cash left over (£30k ish)

any thoughts? It rents well so I'm inclined to hold, although realise value may drop in the short term.

cheers
    It all depends on the value and the rentable value. You need to calculate the rental return versus the equity/cost of borrowing versus an arbitary figure for capital growth over 3/5/7/9 years.

It aint difficult.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

cheers
      I prefer the Bacon Tomato Lettuce
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

BTL - sell or remortgage

cheers

Comment

Haven't we met somewhere before?

Comment

Echo echo echo echo

Comment

So you have to pile another £10 to £12K into an asset to get a return that just pays of the mortgage interest?

Lots of hassle, what's the point? House prices going to double next year? Gold probably is.

Comment

Keep the house.

I've just given up trying to sell my place after putting £2.5k down the drain in agency fees. I put the to let sign back up and got someone paying the first 6 months rent up front.

Prices may go up they may go down, it's not important for me. If a major correction is adverted then the lesson is not learnt and the pain continues for many many many people who shall just give up on the idea of owning somewhere.

Who do you think will be smiling then when that happens?

PS: Smiling only applies if you can afford 12% mortgage rates! With the amount of borrowing this country is doing I'm thinking that not going to happen anytime soon.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  So you have to pile another £10 to £12K into an asset to get a return that just pays of the mortgage interest?

Lots of hassle, what's the point? House prices going to double next year? Gold probably is.
                  Gold. Rubbish.

Pssss.OP. I have here some magic beans. Shhhhh.

Come closer.

I will give you 6 of these magic beans in return of £200,000.

Shhhhh.

They will pay you back the same 10 times. But don't tell Dom.

Comment

cheers
                    Key question is what is the rental yield?

Whats it worth and how much can you rent it out for?

Without this you cannot make a decision

Comment

Working...
                    X