• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you draw dividends as soon as you've invoiced? and..erm..spreadbetting....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you draw dividends as soon as you've invoiced? and..erm..spreadbetting....

If you invoice your agency on the 1st of the month, for say £1000, and you calculate you can withdraw £500 in dividends from profit, do you have to wait for the agency to pay you, or can you withdraw the dividend as soon as the work is complete/invoiced?

Its a bit of a technicality i know, but i tend to wait until ive been paid the cash, but i get the feeling i dont have to.

Also.. completely 100% random question.. has anyone ever placed a bet/spreadbet using company funds? Is this legal?

Thanks

You can withdraw a dividend as long as the accounts show you have sufficient reserves - this can be before you're paid a specific invoice as accounts work on an accruals basis (so long as you've raised the invoice, it's counted as sales).

As far as spreadbetting goes - as gambling winnings are tax free for a person, it makes sense to keep them outside the company just in case you're lucky!
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Betting with company funds? It isn't illegal but being that stupid to do it should be.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jamda View Post
        If you invoice your agency on the 1st of the month, for say £1000, and you calculate you can withdraw £500 in dividends from profit, do you have to wait for the agency to pay you, or can you withdraw the dividend as soon as the work is complete/invoiced?

Its a bit of a technicality i know, but i tend to wait until ive been paid the cash, but i get the feeling i dont have to.
        I would say - It is best practice to wait until your invoice has been paid, what happens IF the client / agency doesn’t pay your invoice?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Betting with company funds? It isn't illegal but being that stupid to do it should be.
          There are corporate spread betting accounts, and they do have their legitimate uses. Hedging currency risk for example springs to mind.

Doubt this was what the OP hand in mind though.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            There are corporate spread betting accounts, and they do have their legitimate uses. Hedging currency risk for example springs to mind.

I did a bit of research on corporate spread betting accounts and they are out there. Not sure what the advantage of doing it therough the LTD is though as the funds would be liable to personal income tax when you take them out of the company unless you haven't maxed out the allowance yet.

Or are you thinking of building some extra tax free cash to keep in the company as a warchest or to perhaps invest in other types of secutrities?
            Hmm interesting....
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

As the OP mentioned 'placed a bet' definitively I am absolutely sure he didn't. We do get quite a few of these hair brained ideas so generally have to assume the worst.

We have had so many different ideas from the ridiculous to the more practical and so far nothing definitive comes out as can be seen in the recent poll asking what we do with our companies money. No one picked any investing option, everyone either drew it out as dividends or left it there. If there was any practical working solution to maximise benefits we would all know and have jumped all over it I am sure. That in itself is evidence there is little to nothing worth doing which is a suprise and a shame.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Spreadbetting because it has the word 'betting' in it does conjure up notions of pure gambling. CFD trading on the other hand is viewed not so much as gambling but as 'trading' which is more associated with the big investment banks, exchanges, floor traders etc.

The difference between the two is that one is liable to tax and the other isn't. other than that it's the exact same instruments, the exact same charts, the exact same methods of placing trades, managing risk etc. I would spread bet if I was allowed to but clientco (IB) forbids it. So I trade using CFDs instead.

If and when I have surplus company funds I will definitely invest in funds, individual shares and a *portion* I will trade the more volatile securities (currencies, commodities). If I can do that tax free through spread betting then why the heck not!
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

So from what I can tell, as long as I have sufficient reserves I can pay myself the dividends immediately. I take the point about "what if they dont pay", but they have a contract in place which means they have to pay me within 20 days of invoice, so im not so worried there (plus 2.5 years of ontime payment)

Regarding spreadbetting, actually the reason I asked, no one has touched on...
                  (hence im almost definately 100% wrong)
                  If I placed a spread/bet, and lost, your profit would be reduced, thus you would pay less tax.. i guess though.. if you won, you would end up getting taxed on it.. thus, kind of better if you lose but not... ok, apologies for the bizzarre question...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jamda View Post
                    Thanks for the replys.

So from what I can tell, as long as I have sufficient reserves I can pay myself the dividends immediately. I take the point about "what if they dont pay", but they have a contract in place which means they have to pay me within 20 days of invoice, so im not so worried there (plus 2.5 years of ontime payment)

Regarding spreadbetting, actually the reason I asked, no one has touched on...
                    (hence im almost definately 100% wrong)
                    If I placed a spread/bet, and lost, your profit would be reduced, thus you would pay less tax.. i guess though.. if you won, you would end up getting taxed on it.. thus, kind of better if you lose but not... ok, apologies for the bizzarre question...

Thanks
                    If the SB activity amounts to a trade then it is taxable. (Currently this has not happened, though it might). What you can be sure of is that if your losses are chargeable to tax then the profits will be too.

Can't really find much reference material to point you at, but this might be a bit of a start. Are profits from spread betting always free of tax?

Comment

Working...
                    X