• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spanish Air Traffic Controllers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanish Air Traffic Controllers

Seems events are unfolding

BBC News - Spain's military takes over air traffic control

Late on Friday evening, Spain's Deputy Prime Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba said the military had taken full control of all air traffic over Spain after workers refused to called off the unsanctioned strike.

Mr Rubalcaba later warned that if the action continued on Saturday, the government would declare a state of emergency, forcing air traffic controllers to return to work or face criminal prosecution.

"If a controller does not show up to his work place he will be placed immediately in custody accused of a crime which could mean serious prison sentences," he said.
    Similar to Ronald Raygun's actions in the 80s? Maybe, but the government in Spain is of the PSOE left-wing variety. Plus putting "workers" in prison for striking could cause uprest in Spain, where left and right are very polarised. On the other hand the air traffic controllers are seen as having a very privileged position, which they've abused. Interesting times. I wonder if the French government are watching and taking notes?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Recently back from Lanzarote where we were stuck an extra day because the wind changed direction and the arriving aircraft couldn't land. My experience of Spanish air travel workers is somewhat jaded by the fact that 150+ of us who had just dropped our bags off for a second time in two days were prevented from entering security by a jumped-up little General Franco twerp because our boarding passes were dated the day before. I mean WTF did he really think 150+ chavvy and tired looking Brits were doing at his security kingdom - hatching some cunning plot to ruin Spanish Airport Security by cheekily forging back-dated boarding passes.

Spain can stuff off, the jumped up lot of 'em.

BTW, I was filming the chaos and Franco sent a tiny Policewoman to tell me off which was somewhat hilarious.

Comment

Once the government had turned over management of Spain's air traffic control to the military last night..."There are civil guards here, with pistols. If we don't start work now, we will be arrested"...Airports across Spain were reopening...

I haven't got much sympathy for them.

Spanish air traffic controllers marched back to work as airports reopen - Telegraph

Comment

I wonder how they can be arrested for withdrawing their labour? - what sort of country is Spain? part of the EU - Franco would be so proud!

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
          I wonder how they can be arrested for withdrawing their labour? - what sort of country is Spain? part of the EU - Maggie would be so proud!
          ftfy
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            ftfy

Indeed

Comment

what sort of country is Spain?
              A tulipehole with poor beer standards and a distinctive smell of sewage

Comment

I wonder how they can be arrested for withdrawing their labour? - what sort of country is Spain? part of the EU - Franco would be so proud!
                If your job is safety critical - and you just simply up sticks and walk out, with no warning, and people die as a result, you could probably be charged with manslaughter.

Whether someone should be charged even if no-one dies is another matter, but the only effective difference between those scenarios is whether a willfully negligent with the potential to cause death - actually does so.

So to flip the question around - what sort of country requires innocent people to die before they will take action.

If they don't like it - hand in their notice

Comment

Working...
                X