• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benefit in Kind tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefit in Kind tax

Lads,

How does one apply this tax for company cars? If I was to get a car worth around £25k as my company car how would I apply BiK tax for the use of that vehicle?

And more importantly...are there any ways to minimise exposure to this tax?

With all these taxes it really does look like the government wants its pound of flesh innit!

Regards

Mailman
    Last edited by Mailman; 16 February 2006, 15:02.

Go here -

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/co...sp?page=cartax

Put the car details in and it will spit out how much tax you will pay. You can reduce that amount by contributing yourself or you could buy a van which is really cheap tax wise until next year...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

tell the IR its a pool car

Comment

Haha, sometimes I like the way you think IT Dodgy bugger! But I wont get away with that as my work reports directly to Gordo's henchmen on the status of my company car!

Ratewhore, thanks for the link. My car comes out at just over £600 a year using their calculator.

From what I save, not having to pay for insurance and services etc I still come out on top (only just) but also get a brand spanking new car to ferry my family around in...I mean...its not like Im going to be using it for work anyway!

Regards

Mailman

Comment

My car comes out at just over £600 a year using their calculator.
          Don't forget that is the tax you will actually pay. Assuming you are a basic rate taxpayer that means the taxable benefit is approx 2500. So that means there is another 300 quid ish class 1a to be paid as well.

Comment

No wonder this government has such a problem with getting people to pay "their fair share" of tax!

Quite determined to get their pound of flesh aint they

Mailman

Comment

last time I looked, there was no way of buying a company car that was actually cheaper than buying it myself. Apart from the points already listed, the other catches are:
              - you are taxed on the list price of the car, not the price you paid
              - the VAT on the car is not reclaimable, even by your company
              - you can't claim the standard IR mileage rates if you are driving a company car, you can only reclaim the petrol.
              - if you're flat rate VAT registered, your company can't reclaim the VAT you pay on the petrol

all in all, it's a load of kn***ers.
              Plan A is located just about here.
              If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

lease it then...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                X