• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work for US co. Tax & Visa implications?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work for US co. Tax & Visa implications?

Hi, I wonder if you can help me.

I've seen a 'job' advertised for delivering some e-learning content for a company based in the US. The brief is to deliver x number of e-learning modules based on xyz in an unspecified amount of time. The job posting doesn't specify rate or timescale and asks the candidates to scope and price up the work.

Rather than a job, this looks to me to be a pure b2b transaction. As it's not specifically aimed at a UK market, I'm not sure whether they will have too many people offering their their services from here.

If I do go for it (it's only a couple of weeks work and can comfortably be done from home), I wondered if a) there are any tax implications and b) there are any visa considerations? My feeling is that the answer is no.

No tax implications because I simply pay UK tax on the money I invoice for. The work is done in the UK and I won't be going stateside at all so all tax is due to HMRC not America's IRS. Am I right?

No visa implications because it's a b2b deal and "I" will be working for MyCo Ltd - not for an American company, so won't need a visa to do this job. Again, am I right?

Cheers!

If you are putting this work through your ltdco, I would assume you would be invoicing a US company (b2b as you mentioned). The invoice would not include any VAT since it is outside the scope and it would be simply turnover in your company which would be subject to CT.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
      If you are putting this work through your ltdco, I would assume you would be invoicing a US company (b2b as you mentioned). The invoice would not include any VAT since it is outside the scope and it would be simply turnover in your company which would be subject to CT.
      Thanks Craig. I'm not yet charging VAT anyway (though will be at some point soon I'm sure). Yup, that's pretty much how I thought it would be with any money received from invoicing USA ClientCo would be subject to UK Corporation Tax and wouldn't affect me personally in terms of taxes and visas since all work done through UK Ltd Co based in UK.

Ta!

Comment

Working...
      X