• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chesterfield Group

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chesterfield Group

Has anybody here used or heard and thing about chesterfield group?
    They have been recommended by the agency (hudson) I am currently going through (hope to start my first contract soon, subject to the interview going well).
    I can only find one referece to them here. They don't have much on their website, but they do seem to have an advantage if I ever decide to contract abroad as they have offices in numerous countries.

I'm very new to all this.
    Although I'd love to setup my own limited company, due to the hours I normally work and travelling I will be doing (and having a demanding family), I don't have the time or inclination for all the admin involved, although I'll probably have to do it all for my wifes company she is just start (Proper company that makes stuff and sells to the public). I also can't afford to have my funds stuck in the company, without me having to go through loads of hassle to get my hands on it.

I'm not looking for a get rich quick scam, just a reliable company that will manage all of the admin (timesheets/expenses, etc,etc) without ripping me off, but is totaly legal and I won't get stung further down the line.

Does such a managment company exist????

If you're not interested in the admin, you just need an Umbrella - go with Parasol.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've in the past used both umbrella and Ltd Co options and to be honest their is not much difference in the amount of admin work most of the time.

Where you can get hit timewise are the deadlines Gov departments set for certain deliverables such as annual and VAT returns etc etc. If you are not organised then this may be a problem as a Limited Co - but then again if you are not organised you will not submit the info to the Umbrella to get paid. The difference being that as a Limited Co the Gov fine you.

There are a number of good legal Umbrella companies one already mentioned is parasol, another is Contractor Umbrella - I think both have links on the home page. Avoid Umbrella's that claim to have special dispensation from the Inland Revenue this is in my opinion mis-selling and you will (and you said you don't want to) get hit further down the line. Dispensation is an agreement from the Inland Revenue for these Umbrellas not to fill in certain forms - and some of these Umbrellas use it to falsely claim expenses that you have not incurred which could well come back to haunt you later.

Comment

although I'll probably have to do it all for my wifes company she is just start (Proper company that makes stuff and sells to the public). I also can't afford to have my funds stuck in the company, without me having to go through loads of hassle to get my hands on it
        Nuff said. Stay permie. You have no idea what you're getting into, have you?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Having worked in consultancy for many years and recently gone to a permanent role, I find I miss the variety that consultancy brings with it.
          Also even calculating my tax burden at 40% I'll still be much better off that I currently am.
          I have to admit there are some individuals on this board, that are not the most friendly or welcoming to newbies (easy to insult people from behind a keyboard). Making the decision to go contractig in the first place is scary enough. It is a minefield out there, with a vast amont of regulations to get your head around. Everybody has to start somewhere, so give guys a chance if you havn't got anything constructive to say, don't say it at all.

Comment

you havn't got anything constructive to say, don't say it at all.
            Stimpy's third post and already he's telling everyone how to behave!!!
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

I was being constructive. If you are considering going freelance without understanding how payments work or why you should use umbrellas or set up your own company, it's a bit like buying a Porsche without having first learned to drive.

It may also cross your mind that nobody owes you a living and while you have a good degree of protection as a permie, you have none at all as a freelance, and an awful lot of things that will trip you up, cost you unnecessary money and even prevent you working. So wise up and listen to the people who have been there and got the bruises, it is just possible we get tired of hearing inexperienced heroes telling us how easy it all is.

I'm famous for being less than polite and not suffering fools - but if you can't hack that, re-think being a freelance. Behind the banter though, there is a lot of good advice. You would do well to learn what you;r doing first, then complain.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                I'm famous for being less than polite ...
                Ooh ...and very direct. Mr Malvolio is something of an icon for us.

Comment

I would say don't go with the umbrella your agency recommends unless they are also well recommended elsewhere. Your agency is obviously recommending them as they get commission on recommendations rather than because they do a good job.

You have already had good advice about umbrellas.

You said: I also can't afford to have my funds stuck in the company, without me having to go through loads of hassle to get my hands on it.

What makes you think the getting funds out of your ltd company would be any more hassle than getting them out of an umbrella. It shouldn't be much more than paying yourself via PAYE (which is easy - your accountant will work it all out for you) or alternatively telling your accountant that you are declaring a dividend and transferring the funds for the dividend from your company account to your personal account.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex
                    You said: I also can't afford to have my funds stuck in the company, without me having to go through loads of hassle to get my hands on it.

What makes you think the getting funds out of your ltd company would be any more hassle than getting them out of an umbrella....
                    If anything it's the other way round: it's all too easy to pay yourself money out the the Company that wasn't really yours to keep

Comment

Working...
                    X