• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the most useless, moribund skill on your CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At current clientco I've been working intensively with Rational Synergy and Rational Change, which at first I fondly imagined might be a handy couple of skills to add to my CV.

But I now realise they're pretty much useless, firstly because only a tiny handful of companies still use them in the UK (or anywhere for that matter), and also because they're so configurable that each major user is practically a law unto themselves so that skill with one variant might be a positive hindrance with another!

Oh well, at least I'm also skilling up in a load of Javascript packages, such as JQuery and Dojo. I'm pretty sure they're a lot more marketable.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

My people skills.

sasguru

Comment

PRINCE2. A worthless skill that's valued by recruitment agencies without a clue and newbie PMs who want to "prove" they can run a project. If it were just a simple methodology that people could pick up and customise as appropriate then that'd be fine and I'd actively support it but it now has its own momentum and following from people who know no better. Have to have it on CV though to get through some recruiters' searches.
      Last edited by craig1; 10 December 2010, 12:10. Reason: Fat fingered typos

Comment

Just had an agent ask me to update my CV as I didn't have Excel on it. FFS
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          Just had an agent ask me to update my CV as I didn't have Excel on it. FFS
          So that's why my phone's not ringing hot...
          You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Coldfusion I can't believe how tedious it is, if anyone asks I've never used it before
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
              PRINCE2. A worthless skill that's valued by recruitment agencies without a clue and newbie PMs who want to "prove" they can run a project. If it were just a simple methodology that people could pick up and customise as appropriate then that'd be fine and I'd actively support it but it now has its own momentum and following from people who know no better. Have to have it on CV though to get through some recruiters' searches.
              MBAs appear to be going the same way
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I would have said dBaseIV. Used it in '93 and later removed it from my CV's list of tech skills. Then working abroad last year I'm asked if I can do anything with a legacy system in client's sister company; it was a dBase IV app.

I have restored dBase IV to my CV...

Comment

I've found from repeated experience that it's a Bad Idea to remove any skill from one's CV, however absurdly obsolete or niche.

There's always some client out there who still uses it. So it's a good way to stand out from the crowd, as a nice to have, even if you'd be crazy to accept a contract where the obsolete skill was the main or sole requirement.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    IT
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X