• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Battlestar Galactica

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battlestar Galactica

Having recently finished watching "The Wire" I was a bit lost for things to watch and was recommended the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. I read all the reviews on Amazon and took the plunge.

Now, I'm just wondering if it is me here and that I have maybe missed the point somewhat - because I don't think I have : but what a load of old nonsense the last 3 series are. It started off really well with the mini-series and series 1 and 2, and I do get the whole god, rebirth, ressurection angle etc - but at the end if it all I am really glad I don't have to sit through any more of it as it became a chore to even put the DVD in the player.

So I'm £50 down and fairly disappointed and just wondering what did others think of it? And can you recommend any other series worth watching so I don't have to suffer any more Freeview rubbish?
    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

It did wane a tad near the last few series, shame as it started off really well.

You could give something like Dexter a go or if you haven't already; the Sopranos. If you like your sci-Fi crossed with a hint of x files try Fringe.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Lexx
      Farscape
      Firefly
      Blakes 7

HTH

Comment

Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
          Babylon 5
          Or Deep Space 9
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

It dived but it dived from a good level.

THey got caught up in the religion thing for a long time when we really just wanted to see suspicion and a good battle. The Jimmy Hendrix stuff was total mince, whoever thought of that should be tied to a post and birched.

Americans really have to learn to stop making decent programs into money making ventures with teams of writers churning out a crap second series.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
              Babylon 5
              Bah how could I miss that one

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                Or Deep Space 9
                Oooooh .......... a few good episodes interspersed with a lot of rubbish about Sisco being the chosen one.

On balance, not recommended.

Voyager on the other hand.... very good IMO.

And I did like Stargate SG1 (and also Atlantis).

An entertaining 'mini series' I watched recently was The Lost Room - 6 episodes of goodness!

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                  So I'm £50 down and fairly disappointed and just wondering what did others think of it? And can you recommend any other series worth watching so I don't have to suffer any more Freeview rubbish?
                  As already mentioned, The Sopranos.

Some good recommendations in this recent thread.

BTW, why not stick the BG boxset on eBay - I recently sold a Mad Men boxset for more than I paid and, after costs, broke even.

Comment

Also I've enjoyed over the last few years,

12 seasons of Dalziel and Pascoe
                    Complete Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett)
                    Complete Inspector Morse
                    Father Ted (old but still great)
                    Flash Forward (sadly cancelled)
                    Seven seasons of House
                    Complete Jeeves and Wooster

Just started the West Wing

Buffy on hold ATM. Angel bought and ready to watch (ok childish but fun!)

Better Off Ted - some funny episodes, I've not seen a lot (can be downloaded)

Friends recommend Caprica and V

Er, I watch a bit too much telly

Comment

Working...
                    X