• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have people forgotton what food is for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have people forgotton what food is for?

As I was passing a Subway, a popular eating establishment that I have yet to frequent, I paused to check out their product line and prices. Well actually I had just done a quick about-turn because I usually ignore these eateries as they look a bit like greasy cafes. The shop appeared to be in demand and as I looked upon it I noticed a sign on the front window displaying the number £2.99. This was encouraging, perhaps I have been missing something in all the years I have been shunning it as bad rubbish, I thought. But then I noticed the not so small print on the poster. In fact quite bold faced print. It was special low energy food being advertised. All the taste and not fattening (i.e. filling) or some such bulltulip it said. WTF thought I, I do not require taste from this establishment, I require nourishment, food, calories, and if it tastes good so much for the better. No hydrogenated fats though. This is why my tummy is rumbling and I am feeling weak. Rarely do I require taste and restricted calories in exchange for my rapidly depreciating coin. If I wanted taste I'd buy some sweets or grill a nice juicy steak and sprinkle on some salt, hmmm, FFS. WTF would I want to enter some tuliphole wasting calories queuing only to receive what they describe as 'taste', and left with an empty feeling 5 minutes later and £2.99 lighter sooner? Is there an extra charge for these less calories I pondered. Would it not be easier and more honest to make portions smaller rather than out of air or indigestible matter? I bet it wasn't even 100% meat. Maybe not even 0% meat. I was sufficiently stunned by the small print that I don't even recall what the food item consisted of now. Suffice to say it probably wouldn't have borne much more than a passing resemblance to the example shown on the poster, which itself was not memorable for its size and girth or nutritional content. Specifically, I submit that it would have been thinner and floppier and that a cursory examination of the contents would have revealed that the sliver of ingredients that had been displayed on the outside, from an optimum viewing angle, was all that was on the inside too. No sirs, I gave this establishment short thrift.

I'll stick with McDonald's, where at least I know that after a Big Mac Meal (large) I am good to go for a few hours. Though even with McD a whiff of foreboding hangs in the air. Yes, even MacD. I refer to the vast and detailed nutritional information provided on the back of each and every tray mat, staring back from every meal like a numerical prophesy of things to come. These numbers will come down from today's glorious heights you mark me, there is no avoiding it unless they put the prices up. I try to maximise these numbers but a suspicion is growing in me that even this fine purveyor of calories may be preparing the way to 'flog punters low energy food and leave 'em hungry for more' bandwagon. The path may already be trodden. They've already done it with salt and got away with it, and they don't make the salt sachets easy to find any more either. And they may start saying that less calories are good for you (and better for them too I bet). We shall see what the future holds but it fills me...no the future does not fill me.

Or maybe it's just me? Any there other non-fatties out there who eat for old fashioned reasons like feeling hungry*?

In other news the price of chips went up the other week, from £1.40 to £1.50, and if you want fish you'll need a fat wad or a credit card.

*Not hungry in the Ethiopian or Eastern European sense of the word. May contain low sodium calorie restricted nuts.

Their low-calorie choices are not unfilling, they are just not smothered in fat like their (IMO) best sandwiches, which are covered in cheese and grease. They have these for the health-concious people, to compete against salad bars, while also serving meatball sandwiches.

Tuesday is £1.99 meatball+cheese sandwich day whenever I happen to be passing
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Their low-calorie choices are not unfilling, they are just not smothered in fat like their (IMO) best sandwiches, which are covered in cheese and grease. They have these for the health-concious people, to compete against salad bars, while also serving meatball sandwiches.

Tuesday is £1.99 meatball+cheese sandwich day whenever I happen to be passing
      Subway. The fast food of choice for discerning proles.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

In other news the price of chips went up the other week, from £1.40 to £1.50, and if you want fish you'll need a fat wad or a credit card.
        The cost of electricity, veg oil and potatoes have increased three times in as many years. City Council Business Rates are horrendous.

I have never found anywhere in the UK that does decent chips. The best chips are in Belgium.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I suspect that Subways new business model follows that of Dr Raven Sable (Famine) in Good Omens.

The Good Omens Lexicon
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Well it's time honoured tradition
            To get enough nutrition
            Stay alive until you die
            And that is the end of you

But most of us enjoy food and have a tendency to eat too much of it - especially the food that clogs up your arteries and makes you fat. The primary purpose of sex is procreation. So think of your healthy subway option as the condom of the fast food world.

Comment

Only on Thursday I had the £2.99 Teriyaki Chicken meal deal TW describes, I'm trying to get down to fighting weight so I liked the fact I didn't feel like I had consumed a few tablespoons of fat, salt and sugar, it's not that filling so good diet food IMO which.

I've not had a McD's for 20 years and don't intend to now, if I'm really hungry I visit the Greeks or Turks for a nice low fat yet nutritious and fulfilling Shish.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I have never found anywhere in the UK that does decent chips. The best chips are in Belgium.
                There is still the odd chippie up here in the frozen North selling chips cooked in dripping. But they are few and far between.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I've not had a McD's for 20 years and don't intend to now, if I'm really hungry I visit the Greeks or Turks for a nice low fat yet nutritious and fulfilling Shish.
                  London has some really good value kebab restaurants where the kofte or shish is decent (ie contains meat) and the salad and pitta bread help to keep the meal fairly healthy. The trouble is, in many parts of the country people associate kebab with Donner. Which is generally horrendous.
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    London has some really good value kebab restaurants where the kofte or shish is decent (ie contains meat) and the salad and pitta bread help to keep the meal fairly healthy. The trouble is, in many parts of the country people associate kebab with Donner. Which is generally horrendous.
                    I've never had a kebab

Subways stink and I can recognise their smell from meters away. They all smell exactly the same, I'm convinced they have had a smell designed to lure people in and have it pumped out onto the street.
                    Perhaps someone should tell them that its bloody awful
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X