• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice please re asking for a raise and dealing with a wicked witch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please re asking for a raise and dealing with a wicked witch

Hi, I am contracting with a bank as a business analyst. 10 months into contract. renew shortly. Previous 10 years, self-managed, working all over the globe delivering software projects to energy companies, including sales, negotiations, software development, training. everything. I mean everything. Not a superstar but finisher and always delivered.

Anyway... my line manager is a witch. good at her job on the whole, but a witch. micro-manages, practically re-writes your work, gives contradictory instructions, publicly calls you out if you **** up something trivial, can't handle been show to be wrong herself. recently was openly and publicly hostile to yours truly - one of those situations where you wonder if you imagined it or maybe she was trying to be humorous. I think she has womens trouble of some kind and recent divorce. not saying that accounts for or excuses her behaviour. I'm kind of at the point where if she does something unreasonable again I will raise it with our boss (contractor). When that happens I am probably fked. It sucks because I like the place and the people I work with.

I am on the bottom grade and bottom rate. Obviously want to increase my rate this time round but not too confident that she will be receptive. Know for sure that peeps on the next grade up are doing the same type of work. I will ask the question but wonder what's the best approach - especially if she says she can't support a request for regrading. I guess I would need to ask her to tell me where the gaps are in my performance?

Maybe I'm just paranoid...

Scouting for other jobs as I write this. Better rates available elsewhere for sure.

Thanks for any advice.

Originally posted by vegan4life View Post
    Hi, I am contracting with a bank as a business analyst. 10 months into contract. renew shortly. Previous 10 years, self-managed, working all over the globe delivering software projects to energy companies, including sales, negotiations, software development, training. everything. I mean everything. Not a superstar but finisher and always delivered.

Anyway... my line manager is a witch. good at her job on the whole, but a witch. micro-manages, practically re-writes your work, gives contradictory instructions, publicly calls you out if you **** up something trivial, can't handle been show to be wrong herself. recently was openly and publicly hostile to yours truly - one of those situations where you wonder if you imagined it or maybe she was trying to be humorous. I think she has womens trouble of some kind and recent divorce. not saying that accounts for or excuses her behaviour. I'm kind of at the point where if she does something unreasonable again I will raise it with our boss (contractor). When that happens I am probably fked. It sucks because I like the place and the people I work with.

I am on the bottom grade and bottom rate. Obviously want to increase my rate this time round but not too confident that she will be receptive. Know for sure that peeps on the next grade up are doing the same type of work. I will ask the question but wonder what's the best approach - especially if she says she can't support a request for regrading. I guess I would need to ask her to tell me where the gaps are in my performance?

Maybe I'm just paranoid...

Scouting for other jobs as I write this. Better rates available elsewhere for sure.

Thanks for any advice.
    I'd tell her to get stuffed and get another gig. Life is too short to work with idiots IMO.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I'd tell her to get stuffed and get another gig. Life is too short to work with idiots IMO.
      WHS ^

Time for a change.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        WHS ^

Time for a change.
        WTS. If the working environment is hostile, move on.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I agree, I never have worked for a woman, and probably never would. Life is too short to put up with their bulltulip.

Comment

+1 - WMFS!
            Last edited by jmo21; 17 February 2011, 11:06.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              I agree, I never have worked for a woman, and probably never would. Life is too short to put up with their bulltulip.
              Disagree totally about first part. Agree totally about second part, gender of bulltulipter irrelevant.

And being bollocked in public would be the end of the relationship.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                I've worked with good women and bad women in charge.

I've worked with good men and bad man in charge.

The bad ones of either gender where up their own behinds.

Oh and one of the good female ones had recently been divorced.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Look for another role now, as this is a good time to find something else. If you don't move now, you run the risk of having it out with her in the middle of the summer when it will be a bad time to find a role.

I always look at the future of a contract when it gets near renewal time, weigh up the risks and decide if it makes good business sense to stay or go. This is business, take your ego out of the equation.

HTH
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

man\women either way as everyone else says lifes to short and with your experience why put up with that tulip from anyone, i would be out the door if anyone spoke to me like that regardless of the reason, if you stick it out till renewal just put in some massive rate rise and tel them you need the money to put up with the moaning bint manager, what you got to lose, nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X