• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Burn them! (but capture the Carbon, okay?)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burn them! (but capture the Carbon, okay?)

Zoe Ball's father Johnny vilified for questioning global warming | Mail Online

Cue sasguru and his Excel spreadsheet.

He should be excommunicated. Atheist too. I'll get the fire ready.

Comment

It's a bit sad that you need to refer to Johnny Ball as "Zoe Ball's father Johnny".

Good article.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

He's knocking up a chart using some "adjusted" data showing that comparing now to the coldest year in recent history makes it look warmer, even though it is freezing just about everywhere in the world.

Still, village idiot, cretin / moron types lap it up and put it in their latest spreadsheet.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Where's the sockie PJClarke?

Surely he has to rebut this rebuttal?
          Sas may have forgotten the password.
          You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

I've a lot of respect for Johnny Ball, his TV programmes were undoubtedly part of the reason I'm interested in physical science, can appreciate mathematics and trained as an engineer.

As it happens I agree with the views expressed in that article (despite it coming from the Wail) as I've yet to see evidence to convince me that AGW is real and remain firmly sceptical although open minded. His cost outlines are quite alarming and I agree with his sentiment about children being indoctrinated as I have 2 children in school and one at uni all of which were subjected to it. Fortunately they're bright enough to have thought about the issues and discussed them so they're firmly sceptical too.

Comment

I instinctively warmed to the almost Heath Robinson-like engineering behind those early attempts to harvest the energy of the wind and the waves, the tide and the sun.
              But there was a big problem: Hard as I tried, I couldn’t make the sums add up. These devices either didn’t produce anything like enough energy, or the energy they produced was too expensive to be economically viable....
              Sad isn't it....my view too and the view of most of the engineers in the electricity generation industry, where I used to work as an Engineer.

and now the National Parks are littered with useless Heath-Robinson contraptions.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Sad isn't it....my view too and the view of most of the engineers in the electricity generation industry, where I used to work as an Engineer.

and now the National Parks are littered with useless Heath-Robinson contraptions.
                I'm sure there was something on Material World a few months ago about how the Scottish rivers are being ruined by hydro electric with the effect that some rivers are dry Monday-Friday and then turned back on for the tourists at the weekend.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  I'm sure there was something on Material World a few months ago about how the Scottish rivers are being ruined by hydro electric with the effect that some rivers are dry Monday-Friday and then turned back on for the tourists at the weekend.
                  It's always seemed to me that turning all the disused mills into small hydro electric plants was something of a no-brainer, as essentially the environmental damage has already been done. And there's an argument that it's preserving the heritage, even if it's not quite the original purpose.

The BBC had an article about Scottish hydroelectrric yesterday. The problem is whenever you read about these schemes (as one mentioned in that article), they all sound impressive until you get to the bit that says "provide enough power for 200 homes". 200 homes barely seems worth the effort, and as that doesn't count businesses, schools, transport, etc., it's actually far less than the requirements for 200 families.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    It's always seemed to me that turning all the disused mills into small hydro electric plants was something of a no-brainer, as essentially the environmental damage has already been done. And there's an argument that it's preserving the heritage, even if it's not quite the original purpose.

The BBC had an article about Scottish hydroelectrric yesterday. The problem is whenever you read about these schemes (as one mentioned in that article), they all sound impressive until you get to the bit that says "provide enough power for 200 homes". 200 homes barely seems worth the effort, and as that doesn't count businesses, schools, transport, etc., it's actually far less than the requirements for 200 families.
                    Found something with pictures:
                    Why is the River Garry Dead?
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X