PDA

View Full Version : What's the stupidest thing you've done as a contractor

KentPhilip
3rd March 2011, 16:33
Just wondering what idiotic things you're prepared to own up to, are?

I'll start with myself, last night: Agent calls saying the client is really impressed with my CV, and would I like to add a few lines in an email to him to describe what I've done in my most recent contract.

So I opens up my email client app and start typing, when I have a brainwave: Instead of typing stuff, why don't I send him the report I wrote for my last client saying what I'd fixed and how. That'll impress the new client!

It was only after clicking "Send" that I realised, apart from the fact that that report could be deemed confidential to the client, it also contained the email addresses to most of the directors of said client, who are probably this minute being bombarded by sales calls from said agent and his side kicks.

Awww crap! :suicide:

MaryPoppins
3rd March 2011, 16:37
Mine = joining CUK.

^ That's pretty moronic, BTW.

manclarky
3rd March 2011, 16:43
Just wondering what idiotic things you're prepared to own up to, are?

I was at ClientCo sending a personal email to a friend organising a weekend night out with our respective partners.

i was about to click send when I realised he'd changed his email address, so I right-clicked on his email address and opened the contact. I added the new email to contact 2 and deleted the email address held in contact 1.

For some reason, Outlook decided to email the email to the entire company and every company distribution list - most of which I (as a consultant) didn't have access to.

I believe I found a bug in Outlook though......!!!

I'd only been at the company a month or so and the resulting email chaos that ensued made me believe I would be walked off-site (I'd referred to the fairer sex as 'birds' in the email), but the company was remarkably forgiving!!

GillsMan
3rd March 2011, 16:46
Probably getting a bit giddy with my new contractor salary and spending £7K on a 10 day holiday with my (now ex) wife and daughter last year.

Not end of the world stuff, really, but wish I'd been a bit more sensible. Especially now when I'm working towards building up the warchest.

amcdonald
3rd March 2011, 16:49
Went darkside for 8 months

MrRobin
3rd March 2011, 16:53
Probably getting a bit giddy with my new contractor salary and spending £7K on a 10 day holiday with my (now ex) wife and daughter last year.

Nowt silly about spending money on memories and experiences with your family.

TestMangler
3rd March 2011, 16:58
Extending my current gig with LBG must be up there with the really ******' dumb things I've done :tantrum::tantrum:

Although I'm saying that now with 20/20 hindsight. They brought a new touchy feely prog manager in who talks about leveraging the position and synergies and quick wins. ****.

Wodewick
3rd March 2011, 17:03
Extending my current gig with LBG must be up there with the really ******' dumb things I've done :tantrum::tantrum:

Although I'm saying that now with 20/20 hindsight. They brought a new touchy feely prog manager in who talks about leveraging the position and synergies and quick wins. ****.

That is certainly the stupidest thing anyone could do!!!

Which touchy feely PM was it? There a few I might call "touched" but not touchy feely.

TestMangler
3rd March 2011, 17:11
That is certainly the stupidest thing anyone could do!!!

Which touchy feely PM was it? There a few I might call "touched" but not touchy feely.

He's new, only been around a couple of weeks, contractor too, but acts like a senior permmie with his leverage & synergies

I confidently predict he gets a boot in the stones the first time we have a night out :D I've decided to leverage your bollocks with my foot and this will be a quick win, for me :fight:

OwlHoot
3rd March 2011, 17:12
Answering the phone half asleep, and scribbling down on the back of an envelope some interview details dictated by an agent.

By the day of the interview the next week I had lost the bit of paper and forgotten who the contact was, and the agent/agency.

Clientco was too large to turn up and announce that I had anterview with "someone", and that wouldn't have looked too good anyway.

Moral of the story for agents is always to email an interview confirmation, and for me not to lose bits of paper. :devil

It was a pretty juicy contract too, good rate and close to home. But I had no choice but to blow them out, and never heard back.

stek
3rd March 2011, 17:42
I know one contractor who thought the whole contract money was his and spent it all.

A Bob too - fled the country.....

Cliphead
3rd March 2011, 17:47
I know one contractor who thought the whole contract money was his and spent it all.

It isn't?

northernladuk
3rd March 2011, 18:29
Wasn't me but worked in a team of mostly contractors who were with same agency and renewed around the same time.

He got his renewal and sent a mail to the team along the lines of 'Yeah, extension!!! Creaming it on this gig and I have to do f' all for it. Let the permies do it for me' etc etc.

Remember the fact I said 'MOSTLY contractors' in the team..... :suicide:

Was a bit tough for us all for a few weeks after so wasn't funny then but makes me smile now.

amcdonald
3rd March 2011, 18:54
That is certainly the stupidest thing anyone could do!!!.

I got married, beat that one

VectraMan
3rd March 2011, 18:58
I got married, beat that one

I bought a Vectra.

escapeUK
3rd March 2011, 19:08

Sounds sensible to me, the stupid ones are the ones who stay and pay all that tax :/

Netraider
3rd March 2011, 19:58
A long time ago I hacked what I thought was a standalone server for a largish defense company. I changed a couple of things including the pre-login message.

The following day I found out that my changes had replicated across several parts of the organisation...

And around 7500 staff saw a very rude login message that morning :emb

Cliphead
3rd March 2011, 20:00
A long time ago I hacked what I thought was a standalone server for a largish defense company. I changed a couple of things including the pre-login message.

The following day I found out that my changes had replicated across several parts of the organisation...

And around 7500 staff saw a very rude login message that morning :emb

I did something very similar :laugh

doodab
3rd March 2011, 20:15
Spending everything I earned during the first few years. If I'd been a bit more sensible when I started out I'd be loaded now.

MaryPoppins
3rd March 2011, 20:21
Spending everything I earned during the first few years. If I'd been a bit more sensible when I started out I'd be loaded now.

WHS ++

:frown

darmstadt
3rd March 2011, 20:26

Still doing that, could be shot by a Kosovan tomorrow...

Ignis Fatuus
4th March 2011, 08:29
Nowt silly about spending money on memories and experiences with your family.+1

That's what it's for.

Ignis Fatuus
4th March 2011, 08:30
I bought a Vectra.Now you mention it, I'm glad I got married.

stek
4th March 2011, 09:14
1996, I was contracting for Railtrack, Saturday afternoon, settling down for Euro 96, England - Scotland ready to kick off I got a phone call from a lass in New York, contract, sounded like a dream role, and I said;

"Football's on, can you call back at half time?"

What fecking planet was she on, calling me at that time, I mean, England - Scotland, come on.......

And she never called back.

TestMangler
4th March 2011, 09:25
1996, I was contracting for Railtrack, Saturday afternoon, settling down for Euro 96, England - Scotland ready to kick off I got a phone call from a lass in New York, contract, sounded like a dream role, and I said;

"Football's on, can you call back at half time?"

What fecking planet was she on, calling me at that time, I mean, England - Scotland, come on.......

And she never called back.

Yeah, and Scotland lost. What a shite day that was........

PAH
4th March 2011, 10:18
I bought a Vectra.

In my very first contract there was a fellow contractor who treated himself to a brand new vectra every year. I guess the cost was peanuts to him as he'd been in the game for a long time, though I never got why always a vectra. Some people like what they like was my conclusion.

My stupidest thing was turning up at a client in my brand new Lotus. They were culling the contractors anyway but I think it did cut short my stay by rubbing the permie bosses noses in it.

Nowadays I tend to use a banger so I don't stand out as much. :wink

singhr
4th March 2011, 10:22
not shagging a woman called Sue* who offered me it on a plate. (*names changed to protect the innocent) :devil

StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff
4th March 2011, 11:36
I took the red pill...

All this living the dream stuff leaves me with no spare time these days.

KentPhilip
4th March 2011, 14:14
b) Imaginining that I could cope with working on code for a medical instrument.:sick

What medical instrument was that?